N3Ont3Tra's 37G Reef Tank Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just posting to say everything is still pretty stable. I had a jawfish for about a month and he was doing well, but then I went on vacation and when I came back it had disappeared, no sign of it. :(

so current stocking is
2x flame hawkfish
1 clarki clownfish
1 six lined wrasse

assorted snails and hermit crabs
1 large emerald crab
1 large serpent starfish

1 large orange and blue ricordia (there's about 8 heads or polyps or whatever they're called lol)
1 pulsing xenia
1 smallish ricordia (doesn't like it's location, but it's stuck itself there and I don't know how to remove it)
1 small square of green star polyps
1 small patch of yellow polyps (was about 10 polyps, then became overgrown with algae and went to about 4, now it's back up to 6 or 7 i think)
1 heck of a lot of algae. I've been trying to get rid of it forever with no luck at all. Any ideas on what will eat it?

I'm uploading some pictures now, I'll post them as soon as they're done. :)

Pictures!

fishtanks013.jpg

Ricordia in actinics. :)

fishtanks012.jpg

Horrible algae that I can't seem to get rid of (any ideas?), green star polyps and clown in background.

fishtanks011.jpg

Pulsing Xenia, yellow polyps, and Larry (six-lined wrasse) trying to hide.

fishtanks010.jpg

Flame Hawkfish, weird sponge that keeps growing down, and then eventually dripping off and growing again, and the starfish at the bottom

fishtanks007.jpg

Annoying to photograph clownfish.

fishtanks006.jpg

Beautiful ridordias

fishtanks004.jpg

Smaller ricordia that needs to be moved, and algae.

fishtanks003.jpg

Both Hawkfish and a Nassarius snail that came out to eat.

fishtanks002.jpg

Both Hawkfish, the same Nassarius snail, the clownfish, AND THE MAGFLOAT! xD

fishtanks001.jpg

And last but not least, my emerald crab.

Thanks for looking. :)

great pics

Your tank looks like a very mature and interesting tank

Riccordeas are probably one of my favourite,I may get more!! :good:

Thanks guys.
Also I just realized a lot of my old pics were deleted. Not really sure how that happened. :(
And I meant to post a video but I didn't like how it turned out, I'll take another one tomorrow so you can have a full tank shot (As awful as it looks lol).

As far as where the tank is going, I don't have a lot of money for the tank at the moment so I think I'm just going to focus on keeping it at optimal condition, and nice and healthy for a while. :)

They've been doing great. :)
Also I did some googling last night and found that the larger one is likely a male and the smaller one is female.

I read that they 'begin as females'.
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I didn't see anything saying otherwise.

edit: I have decided that I'm going to save up for a skimmer. I don't have a sump so it'll have to be a hang on the back one. I have heard that Aqua C Remoras are good? Any other ideas?

I read the same thing but i'm not sure now as the dominant fish become male. I have one and she has stayed quiet small, so I am assuming has stayed female, wouldn't it make sense that if she was the only hawk she would turn into a male and get larger, she must be at least two years old by now. I have been on the look out for a large Hawk for over a year now :sad: - oh how I wish i had bought two juvies

Seffie x

I would have thought she would turn into a male... that is odd lol.

I think I'm going to rearrange some of the rocks soon. :)

And here's a video.

Well it's about time I update this...

I spent a lot of my time this summer teaching my mom to take care of the tank, in preparation for when I left for college.
She learned enough that I was confident that my fish would be in good hands...

A week after I leave for college, hurricane irene goes through and the power went out for two days.

All of my fish died. :(

The starfish, some snails and hermit crabs, and some of the corals lived; I had my mom give them to my friend's 250g tank so they should have a good home.

But I'm sad for my fish. :(

I'm out of the hobby for a while. Too busy with college and no money anyway.

Good luck guys, thanks for all the help.

That sucks. OMG, I'm so sorry. :( You'll be back, though. Start a pico in college. I sing, all my tanks have to be somewhat portable.

Don't be a stranger, though.

:)

I'm getting a betta fish as soon as i get my first paycheck. :D

Maybe in a few months i'll try a pico. :p
But there's NO good LFS's around here.

The Petsmart 2.5g are great tanks for this and cheap too. I love my 2.5g pico. It's awesome.

Where are you going to school?

L

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back