N3Ont3Tra's 37G Reef Tank Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm finally getting started on my first marine tank. :yahoo: So far I have most of the equipment, the tank, the stand, and the light. Nothing too interesting yet.

1001530hb5.jpg

1001531pa8.jpg

1001532kc8.jpg

Lighting is dual satellite compact flourescent fixture. 130 watts total.
1001533dn6.jpg

1001535to1.jpg

1001537et3.jpg

Lights off, no flash
1001536ah1.jpg

Lights off, flash
1001538pb2.jpg

lights on, flash

The tank and stand look so much better in real life. :)

Also, I got some paint for the back. It says on the label:
"Krylon" Color Creations
Acrylic Latex Enamel
Gloss Black
Indoor/Outdoor Paint

That will work for painting the back, right?

After this weekend I'm going to fill the tank up and add salt. Then, I guess the next step is live rock.

Okay well I painted the back of the tank and we moved it and we're getting live rock tomarrow. :)

Got the live rock, 40lbs cured from premium aquatics. I stacked it in two islands, I think it looks awesome. :D then I started to put the sand in and it got cloudy :(. So I can't see more than 4 inches into the tank and I haven't even put 10lbs in. Pictures coming when it gets not-so-cloudy.

"Krylon" Color Creations
Acrylic Latex Enamel
Gloss Black
Indoor/Outdoor Paint

It looks better than just putting a black background on, IMO.

Tested pH and ammonia and PH looked like either 7.8 or 8 and ammonia didn't look like any of them. It was lime green. If I had to pick, it was .25ppm Which is normal I guess. But the water is still cloudy, which is probably why I couldn't tell what color it was. Visibility is 4".

And I'm going to the fish store this weekend. I'll probably get some of the CUC. And I"ll get another powerhead and maybe a HOB filter, 'cause the need I mechanical filtration right now, there's all kinds of things floating around.

dont get cuc this weekend, unless all levels are zero and nitrate under 20

dont get cuc this weekend, unless all levels are zero and nitrate under 20

They should be because it's supposed to be cured live rock, but i know shipping kills off some stuff so I'll make sure.

More pics perhaps.
Good work so far
Regards
BigC

Pics, as requested.

What is this orange thing? There's 3 of them on one of the rocks.
100_1728.jpg

And I guess this is some kind of algae...
100_1730.jpg

Annnnnnnnnd Full tank shot.
100_1727.jpg

As you can see, I put the sand in the front, but I'm going to be moving it to the middle-back, in between the two islands.
I'm probably going to get another 10lbs of rock, too, because it doesn't look like much right now. If I get more of the "semi-cured" rock, will kill anything in there?

Oh yeah, the bag is where I put all the rubble for now, 'cause I didn't want to bury it.

I'll probably be moving the rocks around a lot in the next few days, so it's going to be cloudy.

Okay y'know that second pic of the 'algae'?
Well I have an update on it.

A part of it separates of and moves. It's about an inch long
And it has 2 eyes. It looks a lot like an eel. But it doesn't move from the spot.
I THINK it's attached to the rock. But it definitely has eyes.
And I poked it and it re-joined the algae, but a minute later it separated off again. I can only see the head part of it... no claws or legs or anything.
It's the same color as the algae... if that's even algae.
Any ideas of what it is?
That's the part that moves:
untitled.jpg

Ammonia: less than .25, more than 0.
nitrites: 0
nitrates:0
pH: 7.8 ---- Will this fix itself or do I have to do something?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back