Mystery Snail Shell Growth Issue?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

littlerose

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a mystery snail a few months back, put him in my community tank with an Angelfish. The angel left him alone at first, but then started picking on him. As a result, the snail's shell has grown down over his "face", and his tentacles are a lot shorter. I've moved him, and put him in with my Betta, which is leaving him alone.

I guess what I'm asking is, will his shell "recede" now that he is not being constantly picked at, or will the shell never go back to "normal"? I know the tentacles will eventually grow back. He seems otherwise okay - eating, being out and about etc.

As a result, the snail's shell has grown down over his "face",

What do you mean grown over his face thats not possible. What you will find is that the snail is not coming out of its shell as far

What do you mean grown over his face thats not possible. What you will find is that the snail is not coming out of its shell as far

No, it's actually grown a new section of shell, further down from where it used to sit.

I wouldnt worry about it sounds like normal shell growth.

Post a picture if you can. I doubt it is anything to worry about, a snail's shell is supposed to grow in a layer-like fashion around the edge. It's very interesting really, you can tell how well a snail was cared during its younger years by looking at the shell.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back