Mystery snail mystery

Alice2072

Reaction score
I've always had a single mystery snail in my fish tanks, but just recently I decided to use my emergency tank as a snail breeding tank (I haven't used the tank for quarantine for at least 2 years).
I currently have 4 mystery snails in a 10 gallon tank.
When I first got them, the snails were the size of a dime, and the snail sizes now range from the size of a quarter to bigger than a toonie.

Anyway, long story short.
I have some odd behavior from one snail.
For the past 2 or 3 days, it's male member is always out. No mating happening in the tank at all.
Sometimes It wraps a tentacle around it as if it's masterbating, other times it just wandering around with it hanging out. When it's sleeping, it hangs out.
Other snails climb over him and they butt heads, but they don't mate.
Another thing I noticed, is that it's shell is changing color. Its only happening to this one snail.
I did change the substrate a week or 2 ago, and introduced powdered egg shells to their diet.
But otherwise everything is still the same.
Could the changing of the substrate and the addidtion of egg shells be the cause?

Attachments

• 20240128_152731.jpg
    20240128_152731.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240128_185935.jpg
    20240128_185935.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 29
I've always had a single mystery snail in my fish tanks, but just recently I decided to use my emergency tank as a snail breeding tank (I haven't used the tank for quarantine for at least 2 years).
I currently have 4 mystery snails in a 10 gallon tank.
When I first got them, the snails were the size of a dime, and the snail sizes now range from the size of a quarter to bigger than a toonie.

Anyway, long story short.
I have some odd behavior from one snail.
For the past 2 or 3 days, it's male member is always out. No mating happening in the tank at all.
Sometimes It wraps a tentacle around it as if it's masterbating, other times it just wandering around with it hanging out. When it's sleeping, it hangs out.
Other snails climb over him and they butt heads, but they don't mate.
Another thing I noticed, is that it's shell is changing color. Its only happening to this one snail.
I did change the substrate a week or 2 ago, and introduced powdered egg shells to their diet.
But otherwise everything is still the same.
Could the changing of the substrate and the addidtion of egg shells be the cause?
I tried to upload a video, but it won't upload :(
But here's another pic

Attachments

• 20240128_175000.jpg
    20240128_175000.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 26
Can't answer your actual question but you can't directly upload a video here. You have to upload it to a site such as YouTube and then post the link here.

There must be a couple inch space above the water line for the females to be able to lay their eggs.

Yikes, X-RATED PHOTOS!!! 🫣🫣🫣

I didn't know those guys have... um, THAT. Is this the way Nerites are as well? Or all snails, for that matter?

A lot of snails have separate sexes, nerites included. But nerites aren't as obvious about it. It is very difficult to determine if a nerite is male or female, except when you catch one in the act of laying eggs :mad:

Most reactions

Back