My Tank Cracked Today! Why?

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
6,671
Reaction score
438
Points
83
Location
Wirral UK
I was in a major rush this morning and as I was getting in the car I noticed water coming out the garage under the garage door. I went in fearing the worst and one of my tanks was empty, obviously not long emptied. the heater or filter was burning and there was a height length crack on the back pain of glass on the tank. This isn't accesible from the front as its facing a brick wall. ie something couldn't have hit it. It was warm this morniing compared to last few days could that be the reason even though the tank water is at a constant?

the fish in their weren't bolshy or big enough to do damage

but I'm cheesed off anyway as I had to put fish in other tanks in a rush as I had to get to my grans over an hour away
 
is the garage heated permanatley, with this cold snap maybe the glass has been cold on outside and warm inside and it just stressed the glass

the garage isn't heated but well insulated. There are 6 tanks in there and its never freezing. whats confused me is it was so warm this morning . when I got up I went to my pond and all the ice had melted. could that be the cause but seems odd. the garage is soaking cos I have carpet down on there!!
 
That sucks...sorry to hear that. I would be concerned about the others in there. Have they survived other winters?
 
maybe the tank was just stressed or old :unsure: and gave in........do you have children?
possibly as it was one of three homemade tanks I#d bought off a guy earlier this year. The tank has been set up for months it was only 2 days ago I some discus in there which of course was a worry this morning cos they are now in a tank with Brichardi and some mozambique mouthbreeders that are growing on. I had no choice as I have to cylce the aspare tank I have which was brackish till last night!! stress the children haven;t been in the garage for a good few days and the dog wasn't in there last night either.


That sucks...sorry to hear that. I would be concerned about the others in there. Have they survived other winters?

2 of the tanks in there have done 5 winters in there for 4 others it was the first winter but I'm not convinced it was the cold. This was the warmest night for a couple of weeks

the bummer is only Friday did I spend some time wiring everything into aquarium wiring controllers or whatever they are and now I have to unwire them cos I can;t swithc em off individually so they're in a bucket of water at the moment
 
What was the tank on? Was it level? Could it have warped due to the severe weather temperature?

If a tank is not supported evenly it WILL crack in time :nod:

Sorry for your troubles....worst nightmare in fishkeeping :crazy:
 
What was the tank on? Was it level? Could it have warped due to the severe weather temperature?

If a tank is not supported evenly it WILL crack in time :nod:

Sorry for your troubles....worst nightmare in fishkeeping :crazy:

it was on a fish tank stand. The base was wood and ontop of that polystyrene and I would reckon it was pretty level. I suppose it must have been a combination of weather changes and age of tank. worrying though and I'd hate to see tah happen to my big tank

I always knew this would happen one day its taken 18 yrs to happen though!! the carpet in my garage is soaking

I'm amazed ath the discus though. only had them two days and they've gone from dealers to my tank to no water to now being in a tank with Brichardi (I have no choice) and they have just barged brichardi out of way for food!! fantastic fish
 
I feel for you, was only a couple of months back that I had a 30-40g crack full of water and fish, mine was in the kitchen too. Cracked on the base, for no apparent reason and my god does the water come out fast. Hope the fish will be ok.
 
I feel for you, was only a couple of months back that I had a 30-40g crack full of water and fish, mine was in the kitchen too. Cracked on the base, for no apparent reason and my god does the water come out fast. Hope the fish will be ok.

Worst nightmare right here. Mine in my bedroom with about £2500's worth of electronics :crazy:
 
I was in a major rush this morning and as I was getting in the car I noticed water coming out the garage under the garage door. I went in fearing the worst and one of my tanks was empty, obviously not long emptied. the heater or filter was burning and there was a height length crack on the back pain of glass on the tank. This isn't accesible from the front as its facing a brick wall. ie something couldn't have hit it. It was warm this morniing compared to last few days could that be the reason even though the tank water is at a constant?

the fish in their weren't bolshy or big enough to do damage

but I'm cheesed off anyway as I had to put fish in other tanks in a rush as I had to get to my grans over an hour away

i feel for you, i had a tank split on a seam, and had only a 10g to put 20 fish in. it was in the living room too. i have however worked out why the seam failed. something that gives me peace of mind.

if home made, my guess would be the tank was made, slightly out of true. over a short period this would cause it to fail due to pressure. i guess the stand , being out of true, could cause the same.
 
cheers for the comments guys. my spare tank is up to temperature just waiting for it to be ready to put the fish in there to prevent what I have now which is discus, uaru and brichardi al together
 

Most reactions

Back
Top