My Rio 180 Betta Tank Journal... Pic Heavy...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm out of the house for 14 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week with work so I don't wanna risk it cos the last thing i want is another tank going wrong on me. I have some mystery disease in my community tank that is defying all treatment and only seems to affect the tetra and guppies but leaves the harlequins alone at the moment so I don't think i could handle more stress.
If it wasn't for that i'd steal a bit of media out of that tank and attempt a fish-in cycle cos at least there'd be some bacteria to process the waste.

Oh also does the coconut need to be soaked before adding it to the tank?

Ok that's cool then. Just I know wood has to be soaked cos of the tannins and wasn't sure if it applied to coconuts too. Cheers for all the help with this Haych

PS sorry again for the hijack

Well, I went and did it ! I got a second rio 180 to divide !!

I sold the rio 125 and bought a rio 180 again. Only cost me £100 - its the newer style with the T5 lighting! I'll finally be putting the eheim I got of vickiandkev for filtration.

Kev (my Kev) is currently dividing as we speak, and I have pics to go with it, will upload tomorrow if anyone is interested :)

Not going with sand, I have some (rather expensive) black gravel this time.

As I had meth bluein the original tank the sand is now blue :blink: so I am also going to strip that one down and gravel that tank too.

Wow i remember when i was younger having 1000s of betta fish that i caught myself in the betta ponds, i remember going into the deep jungle and then finding the beautiful betta ponds in the Dominican Republic. IT was so amazing and now i'm here in new york with 3 Males and 2 Females oh and 7 betta fry lol.

I got a HM PLAKAT, 1 VT and the other one looks like a Delta but its also a VT. and the females are crown tail so i'm planning on breeding a CT with a VT to get some combtail. BTW great job with the dividers and your bettas bring lots of memories.

I gotta say what an amazing thread this is and goes to show that if you put your heart in it, anything can happen xx

Amazing tank and amazing bettas x

I want to do something like this, what would you say is the small ltr/gallon tank I could attempt something like this with but with only 3 sections, rather than 5?

3 sections is around 60 litres - which gives you 20l which iirc is roughly 5 gallons :)

which is something like an horizon 60 (which tbh would look cramped divided 3 times but is 60l)

or you could go for a juwel rio 125 and do 3 sections which would roughly be 40 litres each - or divide into four and have 30ish litres each

3 sections is around 60 litres - which gives you 20l which iirc is roughly 5 gallons :)

which is something like an horizon 60 (which tbh would look cramped divided 3 times but is 60l)

or you could go for a juwel rio 125 and do 3 sections which would roughly be 40 litres each - or divide into four and have 30ish litres each

Thanks for that, currently in a bidding war for a 80ltr and a 100ltr. I may just divide into two, one for females and one for a male. I've ordered 4 CT females, which will be put on hold until I switch over to my new tank (won't be long) and then my ladies will go in my 18ltr until I get the new tank. If the 18ltr turns out to be too small, then my friend has said he will house them in his 40ltr until I am sorted.

The breeder has said these 4 females have been no trouble, been together since day 1 (from the same fry I think), do you think they will be ok together just as the 4?

I will know by tomorrow if I have either one of those 2 tanks.

Sorry about the rambling questions :look:

I dont mind :)

The four I would watch closely - if they are siblings there is a good chance there was more than four of them

Also, be careful with CT females - I have one and she is a little madam! Ripping shreds out of my other girls fins and scales

If you do decide to divide into two for one male and a sorority - do the girls section bigger than the males - just divide off 5-5 gallons for the male and leave the rest for the girls - and plenty of plants for cover :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back