Is my Betta sick/depressed or sleeping?!?!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Always check water 3 or 4 times a month.
I would water change 20% every 3 days until problem is solved.

Think to heat new water at the same temp. as water tank.

At the moment I'm waiting for test kit come in the mail. Sadly I won't be able to afford real plants and the stuff to go with it prob for another two weeks-month. I want to get gravel vacuum too. So atm it's just a waiting game for stuff arrive (heater, blood worms, and test kit).

Hey. He's a stunning looking Betta!
Would you happen to have any info about your water source? This can usually be obtained from the supplier's website. Info such as hardness and alkalinity is particularly useful.

To vacuum your substate a hose, a bucket, that's all ;)

Test strips have not come in mail yet. Realized he has fin rot. I think my Molly has it too. (Molly showing no personality change. Still very active, no issues swimming and eats like a pig Still!). So far my testras seem okay also. I'll post picture of betta and molly when I have more time. I bought medication and paid for rush order so I'll have it by tomorrow between 3-6pm.

This has been such a stressful/expensive experience. I REALLY hope the medication and cycling the tank properly (after trearment) will help because I can't really afford to do much more.

Make sure you're doing your water changes, fin rot is often because of poor water quality...

You should perform 25% waterchange every 3 days until you get strips.
Keep in mind the new water has to be at same temp. as tank temp.

Last edited:
I may have missed something but did you say what you are feeding him? Food quality can make a big difference in their health. And it doesn't even need to be super expensive. It's all about the ingredients. ?

When I first got my betta I had him in a little "less than a gallon" tank. I know. Awful. ? I knew it was bad but I needed to talk my boss into letting me get a bigger one. Now he is in a 10 gallon planted tank with a mystery snail. And a colony of 2 different types of pest snails. ? Little buggers snuck in. I bought all my plants guaranteed snail free... Except. One. One. ? But I digress.

He had fin rot at first and was listless. My boss liked the fish, so let me get the 10 gallon. I have a natural stone and plant substrate, planted it, and have cholla wood, driftwood, real rock, and one imitation rock aquarium decoration.

I have the api master test kit and I test weekly before a water change. That lets me know how much of a change I need to do and gives me a heads up if something is wrong with the tank. An ounce of prevention, and all that...

I bought him better food, a few varieties to mix it up (pay attention to expiration dates. Fish food can go rancid), and I have a heater and airstone in the tank.

He did well for a long time but now has a tumor. ? These things happen. And the mystery snail is healthy and happy. My parameters are stable.

It's truly important to read about how to cycle a tank properly. That really helped me to establish a good cycle. And to read up on good tank mates.

did you say what you are feeding him?
I fed mine this way :
- bloodworms 1/week
- daphnia 1/week
- vinegar eel 1/week
- mosquito larva 1/week
- ostracod (yellow) 1/week
- small pieces of fish/mussel 1/week
- one day fasting.

The only pellets he liked was Atison Betta Pro

There has been a lot of great advice given. I will repeat the need to test your water with the API Master test kit with the liquid reagents. He is a beautiful guy. Mine is very similar but his fins are a champagne color instead of the orange. I know money is an issue for you right now, but without any live plants in his tank there is nothing to help keep the nitrates down. Given the size of the tank and the number of fish in it, I’m certain that is an issue. Nitrates are an issue only if your tank is cycled. As others have said, if your tank isn’t cycled and full of the good bacteria that processes the ammonia into nitrites and the nitrites into nitrates your fish will suffer. Bettas like water that is, for lack of a better word, dreary. They like lots of hiding places, and lots of plants to swim through. The bettas like yours and mine have long heavy fins, so it is difficult for them to swim quickly or move fast to get food. When you are able, check into getting some dried Indian Almond leaves. You can break any large ones in half and just place one piece into his tank. You can also look for some “betta bulbs”. They are small plant bulbs you can place into your substrate. A sand substrate is better for growing plants. I’m not certain what all is available to you in Canada, but I found some Indian Almond leaves at Petco. I also was able to order some from Amazon. The things I have just told you are specific for bettas. As others have said, they need a warmer temp in their tank. I keep my guy‘s tank at 80°F. That is a little warm for tetras. This is my boy, Maui. My grandsons love Moana, lol. The plant in the middle in the photo is just one in a variety pack of bulbs I purchased. Good luck to you. I can tell you are trying to do the best you can for your fish.

Attachments

• 24787541-C190-403D-AE0F-C5D178A06B25.jpeg
    24787541-C190-403D-AE0F-C5D178A06B25.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 72
There has been a lot of great advice given. I will repeat the need to test your water with the API Master test kit with the liquid reagents. He is a beautiful guy. Mine is very similar but his fins are a champagne color instead of the orange. I know money is an issue for you right now, but without any live plants in his tank there is nothing to help keep the nitrates down. Given the size of the tank and the number of fish in it, I’m certain that is an issue. Nitrates are an issue only if your tank is cycled. As others have said, if your tank isn’t cycled and full of the good bacteria that processes the ammonia into nitrites and the nitrites into nitrates your fish will suffer. Bettas like water that is, for lack of a better word, dreary. They like lots of hiding places, and lots of plants to swim through. The bettas like yours and mine have long heavy fins, so it is difficult for them to swim quickly or move fast to get food. When you are able, check into getting some dried Indian Almond leaves. You can break any large ones in half and just place one piece into his tank. You can also look for some “betta bulbs”. They are small plant bulbs you can place into your substrate. A sand substrate is better for growing plants. I’m not certain what all is available to you in Canada, but I found some Indian Almond leaves at Petco. I also was able to order some from Amazon. The things I have just told you are specific for bettas. As others have said, they need a warmer temp in their tank. I keep my guy‘s tank at 80°F. That is a little warm for tetras. This is my boy, Maui. My grandsons love Moana, lol. The plant in the middle in the photo is just one in a variety pack of bulbs I purchased. Good luck to you. I can tell you are trying to do the best you can for your fish.
He's gorgeous!

If money is an issue, see if you can find an aquarium club or society of some kind in your area. more experienced hobbyists would be happy to give you things for free. Most of us can give plants or extra supplies, etc.

I can ramble so I'll try and keep it to the point best I can. This is also my very first aquarium and fish I've EVER taken care of.

About 6 months ago a friend of mine bought a Male betta (blue and orange). It was from petsmart, no idea the age. Then she put him in 1g tank for 3-5 days before I took it off her hands and into a nice clean 10g tank. He would kinda puff up and swim around a bit but basically did.... nothing. I know, it's a fish they usually always do..nothing. After about a month or so he seemed more...bla than usual. Hiding out in the caves more and just bla. He WOULD get excited for food tho! Still does!

Sooooo I got my betta fish some friends? I know... I know! but this betta (blueberry) is super laid back and NOT aggressive. Then got 4 neon Tetras. Yeah nothing...zero interaction.

Day went on and he was getting worse. I 10000% over fed him (nice see him happy) so he's chunky/bloated and is basically always on his side at top of the tank. He will kinda straighten up when woken up and basically swims straight but he use to WAYS go all over the tank, like the bottom to chill by the heater. Mow he never leaves the top and is always on his side!!!!!

Then I bought two Molly's and sadly unno what happened but when I did a deep clean of the tank 3 neos died and one of the Molly's (my favorite she was all white ?)

So we went from 7 fish to 3 including him and I read betta like being alone and that didn't seem make ANY DIFFERENCE. He also wasn't alone very long before we got the neons either so not like he had run of the place for months than had to share it was like maybe 6 weeks MAX and the neons showed up. They didn't even go near him they stay near floor.

Our good heater died too and the cheapie one I bough I know isn't warm enough for his liking. So I know betta can get lethargic if not warm enough.

So right now he's on a VERY strict diet, eating peas for constipation, I'm waiting on a 100 watt heater, I bought more plants to liven the tank up (it was kinda boring) and if none of works I'm going try this medication i heard you can by (can't remember name) incase he is sick with that bladder issue betta get.

IF THAT DOESNT WORK then I'll put him alone in a 3-5g tank with real plants and it THAT doesn't work....I have no idea?!?! Do they have betta prostitutes....wait nvm she eat him.

I'm really hoping he's just not warm enough, fat and lazy. Cuz I really wanna get another white molly and just bought 3 neons for my alone guy. And he just looks so sad! And..
Dead! All the time!

If I had $$$ I'd just buy like a 30g and split it up. In a perfect world....

Hope I didnt ramble to much and can get some help from someone!?
I agree with what everyone else said on the forum. He's probably cold, you're probably not doing enough water changes for an uncycled tank, and he's probably stressed out because of the other fish. I feed my betta 2-3 pellets once a day, I believe that's on the smaller side though. once his belly is back to a normal size, probably stick to that feeding schedule, or you could do 2 pellets twice a day. There is a betta fish guide at the top of the betta page on the forum which is really quite helpful, if you haven't checked it out already. Your betta is gorgeous btw! And bless you for taking him off your friend who impulse bought him and put him in a 1 gal. He'd probably be dead by now if it weren't for you

Most reactions

trending

Back