Is my Betta sick/depressed or sleeping?!?!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mistymercer

Reaction score
I can ramble so I'll try and keep it to the point best I can. This is also my very first aquarium and fish I've EVER taken care of.

About 6 months ago a friend of mine bought a Male betta (blue and orange). It was from petsmart, no idea the age. Then she put him in 1g tank for 3-5 days before I took it off her hands and into a nice clean 10g tank. He would kinda puff up and swim around a bit but basically did.... nothing. I know, it's a fish they usually always do..nothing. After about a month or so he seemed more...bla than usual. Hiding out in the caves more and just bla. He WOULD get excited for food tho! Still does!

Sooooo I got my betta fish some friends? I know... I know! but this betta (blueberry) is super laid back and NOT aggressive. Then got 4 neon Tetras. Yeah nothing...zero interaction.

Day went on and he was getting worse. I 10000% over fed him (nice see him happy) so he's chunky/bloated and is basically always on his side at top of the tank. He will kinda straighten up when woken up and basically swims straight but he use to WAYS go all over the tank, like the bottom to chill by the heater. Mow he never leaves the top and is always on his side!!!!!

Then I bought two Molly's and sadly unno what happened but when I did a deep clean of the tank 3 neos died and one of the Molly's (my favorite she was all white ?)

So we went from 7 fish to 3 including him and I read betta like being alone and that didn't seem make ANY DIFFERENCE. He also wasn't alone very long before we got the neons either so not like he had run of the place for months than had to share it was like maybe 6 weeks MAX and the neons showed up. They didn't even go near him they stay near floor.

Our good heater died too and the cheapie one I bough I know isn't warm enough for his liking. So I know betta can get lethargic if not warm enough.

So right now he's on a VERY strict diet, eating peas for constipation, I'm waiting on a 100 watt heater, I bought more plants to liven the tank up (it was kinda boring) and if none of works I'm going try this medication i heard you can by (can't remember name) incase he is sick with that bladder issue betta get.

IF THAT DOESNT WORK then I'll put him alone in a 3-5g tank with real plants and it THAT doesn't work....I have no idea?!?! Do they have betta prostitutes....wait nvm she eat him.

I'm really hoping he's just not warm enough, fat and lazy. Cuz I really wanna get another white molly and just bought 3 neons for my alone guy. And he just looks so sad! And..
Dead! All the time!

If I had $$$ I'd just buy like a 30g and split it up. In a perfect world....

Hope I didnt ramble to much and can get some help from someone!?

Bettas are territorial and don't like to share their space with anyone else... Personally I wouldn't keep my betta with any other fish regardless of temperament, I know some do though.

It's always useful to post your tanks water parameters, how often you do a water change and photos of the fish and his tank can help others see what you're dealing with

Bettas are territorial and don't like to share their space with anyone else... Personally I wouldn't keep my betta with any other fish regardless of temperament, I know some do though.

It's always useful to post your tanks water parameters, how often you do a water change and photos of the fish and his tank can help others see what you're dealing with
bettas can be peaceful in most other peaceful fish in their hardness/ph range
yes, we'd like to know :)

:hi: bettas and tetras are a bad mix (and thats coming from someone who has a plakat with male guppies) sounds like a water quality(or ammonia) issue -get a test kit or strip-

I would appreciate a feeding schedule,pics,food brand,temperature readings, ph, NitrAtes, NitrItes,ammonia,and alkalinty readings

and how old is this betta

Betta do not sleep on their side, he is sick. Do a water change, remember to use dechlorinated water and match the temperature, then post the information that others have requested. Please include a current photo of the betta.

Last edited:
He is not sleeping on his side today. I know the water isn't warm enough I wrap a thermal blanket around tank till new heater comes (everything is curbside or delivery). I do treat the water and I'll get some strips. I have NO idea how old he is. I took it off a friend who got it from pet smart. I usually try replace water 2 months and deep clean every other month.

Attachments

• 20210502_163545.jpg
    20210502_163545.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210502_163815.jpg
    20210502_163815.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210502_163803.jpg
    20210502_163803.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210502_163702.jpg
    20210502_163702.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210323_015850.jpg
    20210323_015850.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210323_020204.jpg
    20210323_020204.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
He's a beauty. To my untrained eye he looks well. But the water change schedule seems far too little. It could be that the tank has "old Tank syndrome". He may be feeling poorly from polluted water as well as from the cold. Try doing small water changes every day until the pH in the tank matches the pH of the source water, then do larger changes weekly. Test the source water pH after it has been allowed to stand for 24 hours. The new water could be replaced at one or two degrees warmer until the heater arrives. Have a look at Byron's article about water changes.

Something I noticed in your pictures is that you have a reptile cave in your tank (i have a few lizards) desert reptile decor isn't meant to be submerged, the type of plastic or finishing could leech toxins into the water over time, he may benefit from more natural hides like mopani wood or stones staggered to make a cave

Something I noticed in your pictures is that you have a reptile cave in your tank (i have a few lizards) desert reptile decor isn't meant to be submerged, the type of plastic or finishing could leech toxins into the water over time, he may benefit from more natural hides like mopani wood or stones staggered to make a cave
Weird it was in with all the fish decor stuff. Maybe someone left it there. Bummer I like it ?

Hello :)
Your Betta behave this way because he is cold.
You really should remove all this artificial stuff that can release toxic substances/particles and provide heavy vegetation, roots, branches for your beauty. Coco cave makes nice and natural hiding places.
Please heat the water ! 25°C (being 77°F) is good.

I agree it could be because he is cold! My first betta did this before I bought her a heater, and my younger cousin's betta does this now and he doesn't have a heater.

Do not buy the test strips, they can be inaccurate and unreliable
It depends on the way you use strip. try this ↓ then check with drop test (JBL if possible) and compare results... I've been very surprised !

BANDELETTE E.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back