FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
maybe I'm wrong.
You would be correct.

I would consider the possibility of internal parasites, some areas look a little sunken in.
Id locate a dewormer and dose that as a precaution.

That said... 5 years is a good age for some, but there is records of a cory making it 40 years by Ian Fuller, apparently. Most however go 5-10 years.
CassCats was our Corydoras expert before she left. Ian Fuller is an extremely experienced aquarist, specializing in Corydoras.

They don't live to 40 years in the wild. There is little information as to the lifespan in the wild, but in many cases fish won't live as long in the wild as in captivity. The oldest Corydoras that Ian Fuller reported seeing in captivity was a 42 years old Corydoras aeneus, but that was an exceptional case. The oldest Corydoras that Ian Fuller has personally owned were Corydoras sterbai that lived into their 20s. Other than that, there are reports of many living into their twenties, and some as high as 34 years. I've only seen the one claim from Ian as to Cordydoras living over 40.

Any Corydoras that has lived into their teens and twenties is a Corydoras that has been cared for properly. Most won't live into their twenties whether they have been cared for correctly or not.

They don't live to 40 years in the wild. There is little information as to the lifespan in the wild, but in many cases fish won't live as long in the wild as in captivity. The oldest Corydoras that Ian Fuller reported seeing in captivity was a 42 years old Corydoras aeneus, but that was an exceptional case. The oldest Corydoras that Ian Fuller has personally owned were Corydoras sterbai that lived into their 20s. Other than that, there are reports of many living into their twenties, and some as high as 34 years. I've only seen the one claim from Ian as to Cordydoras living over 40.

Any Corydoras that has lived into their teens and twenties is a Corydoras that has been cared for properly. Most won't live into their twenties whether they have been cared for correctly or not.
Good info, thanks for posting

Adorable corys! I recently got two albino corys and I love them so much, they're so cute and buddy around the tank. Absolutely inseparable. I'll be getting more corys soon, I'm just adding fish a few at a time. I really enjoyed this thread, lots of valuable info on this forum.

Does this make my statement of “They can live up to 40 years” any less accurate?

Does this make my statement of “They can live up to 40 years” any less accurate?
It makes your statement of "They can live up to 40 years, in the wild. (Or in ideal conditions - rarely in captivity)" less accurate. But that's not the point.

It makes your statement of "They can live up to 40 years, in the wild. (Or in ideal conditions - rarely in captivity)" less accurate. But that's not the point.
Exactly.

Enough on this, we've strayed from the OP's original post enough, as it is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back