FloridaChick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yay! Super surprised how cute these are! So curious with big eyes and so much fun to watch. I got 7 from a real jerk on eBay who said he couldn't send them out because he was sick and then got nasty and ghosted me. I spent hours trying to get my $80 (I know, thats alot, insane) but he wasn't responding to ebay or PayPal and at the last minute, he shipped them.. I splurged since they are tank raised and I was trying to support "local" breeders.
Anyway, I'm thrilled with them. Any special food or nutrients they require? How can I keep them healthy? So fascinating they can live 3 years, who decides that? Critter life spans are so all over the place. Just saying ???

Attachments

• 20210421_221037.jpg
    20210421_221037.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210421_171323.jpg
    20210421_171323.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210421_171325.jpg
    20210421_171325.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 20210421_171612.jpg
    20210421_171612.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 128
Congratulations!

Not to cause alarm or anything but the little white spots on the heads isn't ich is it? I have peppered cories but haven't seen any that have white spots like that on the head before. Or maybe they were just digging in the sand?

I love my peppered cories. Different species of cory have different personalities and I love the personality of the peppered cory.

Congratulations!

Not to cause alarm or anything but the little white spots on the heads isn't ich is it? I have peppered cories but haven't seen any that have white spots like that on the head before. Or maybe they were just digging in the sand?

I love my peppered cories. Different species of cory have different personalities and I love the personality of the peppered cory.
Think that might be sand.

Low lighting, sand substrate, hiding places, lots of plants, clean substrate (vacuuming gravel w/ water changes), lots of same species cory buddies, frozen food (brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms) as a supplement to high quality sinking pellet (like Hikari). On a recent thread someone suggested that it be a pellet with a large amount of protein because cories are carnivorous.

Cories are more sensitive to nitrate than a lot of fish so aim to keep the nitrate < 20ppm. And if you ever have to medicate them remember they are more sensitive to medications so you would give 50-75% the dose and some meds would be a no-no altogether so definitely do your research first if that ever comes up.

Congratulations!

its just sand :)

Yay! Super surprised how cute these are! So curious with big eyes and so much fun to watch. I got 7 from a real jerk on eBay who said he couldn't send them out because he was sick and then got nasty and ghosted me. I spent hours trying to get my $80 (I know, thats alot, insane) but he wasn't responding to ebay or PayPal and at the last minute, he shipped them.. I splurged since they are tank raised and I was trying to support "local" breeders.
Anyway, I'm thrilled with them. Any special food or nutrients they require? How can I keep them healthy? So fascinating they can live 3 years, who decides that? Critter life spans are so all over the place. Just saying ???
so cute though!!! they can live 20 years
they looove bloodworms but wait till thry grow up then feed them the full worms
i have 6 of them, happy to know someone else is going on this cory journey with me!!!

Mine trio of peppered cory cats is over 5 years old and have been very solid fish. I find that some of the zippy fish get all the food in the tank before hardly anything hits the bottom and I give the cories a few shrimp pellets and an algae tab after lights out a couple times a week.

Those are really cute things! @PlasticGalaxy might be able to help you with those questions.
Plecos are my main area of expertise by the way! I'm not too well versed on corys, so I've been lurking on posts like these to get some more info!

But... From my knowledge, like @coriesinhawaii has said already, they do well with larger groups (6-8 at least) of the same species, and enjoy lots of unique parts in the tank to explore. Plants, caves, wood, e.c.t. Corys are very playful and friendly in my experience, seeing them swim around together is a lot of fun.

They like eating sinking pellets and algae wafers, and also enjoy being in a more mature tank.

Congratulations!

Ooo, thanks!!!! I will look. I thought they would stay on the bottom but they swim alot, fascinating ???

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back