My New Pet Hate!

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
It took a lot of effort on my part to move my fish from one pond to another..... all 5 (ponds) of them!..... not 3 weeks later, and with basic caution..... my hairy algea is back!!!..... How do I get rid of it forever, forever...FOREVER!!!!!..... I'll put pool acid in if I have to!... I hate the stuff! (fish gets tangled & die)
 
It took a lot of effort on my part to move my fish from one pond to another..... all 5 (ponds) of them!..... not 3 weeks later, and with basic caution..... my hairy algea is back!!!..... How do I get rid of it forever, forever...FOREVER!!!!!..... I'll put pool acid in if I have to!... I hate the stuff! (fish gets tangled & die)
lack of CO2 (i dont think so in this case)

poor water movement. get some power heads in there!
 
It took a lot of effort on my part to move my fish from one pond to another..... all 5 (ponds) of them!..... not 3 weeks later, and with basic caution..... my hairy algea is back!!!..... How do I get rid of it forever, forever...FOREVER!!!!!..... I'll put pool acid in if I have to!... I hate the stuff! (fish gets tangled & die)
lack of CO2 (i dont think so in this case)

poor water movement. get some power heads in there!

Hi Trucka..... nothing wrong with your line of thinking..... but I am vigourously agitating (cause I thought along the same lines)... but nope!... the stuff thrives!
 
Probably no help to you Ludwig, but my nerite snails cleared off my hair algae and touchwood there hasn't been any since.
 
I use a machete on it as my pond is concrete lined works a treat at taking large quantities off, its beneficial imo for hiding tadpoles and fry which would normally get eaten. You can also try algae pond cleaner on it I find this slows growth although it doesn't eradicate it.
 
Probably no help to you Ludwig, but my nerite snails cleared off my hair algae and touchwood there hasn't been any since.

Hallo Kia... Sorry to sound ignorant,..... But what are those?? (Nerite snails)..... I have plenty Apple snails,.... No will help??
 
Probably no help to you Ludwig, but my nerite snails cleared off my hair algae and touchwood there hasn't been any since.

Hallo Kia... Sorry to sound ignorant,..... But what are those?? (Nerite snails)..... I have plenty Apple snails,.... No will help??
nerites are small snails that eat algae, they cannot multiply in a pond as its freshwater and not brackish. improve the flow and see if it helps.
 
I use a machete on it as my pond is concrete lined works a treat at taking large quantities off, its beneficial imo for hiding tadpoles and fry which would normally get eaten. You can also try algae pond cleaner on it I find this slows growth although it doesn't eradicate it.

Saltynay...... Same ignorant question to you..... What is a "Machete"
 
I use a machete on it as my pond is concrete lined works a treat at taking large quantities off, its beneficial imo for hiding tadpoles and fry which would normally get eaten. You can also try algae pond cleaner on it I find this slows growth although it doesn't eradicate it.

Saltynay...... Same ignorant question to you..... What is a "Machete"
a weapon used by natives for cutting bamboo etc. scissors will suffice :lol:
 
what about yanking it out manually? failing that try some fish to munch it, doe's anyone know of a fish that like's to munch that stuff?ive heard beuno's aires tetra munch duckweed, wonder if they touch that stuff
 
Trucka!... Lemme make a prediction here and everyone take note!..... very soon,..... you're gonna be the youngest Mod this forum ever had.... Thanks, but that's beside the point,..... I have a putty scraper which works well with the tanks in the garage.... In the ponds though.... it grows on the plants, rocks, sides.... everywhere!!!!..... I've seen a Tetramin product called "Algimin"....... anyone tried this before????
 
what about yanking it out manually? failing that try some fish to munch it, doe's anyone know of a fish that like's to munch that stuff?ive heard beuno's aires tetra munch duckweed, wonder if they touch that stuff

Hallo Nelly.... (How's the Oscars)...... thanks for the suggestion, but it must be borne in mind that these are all single species live bearer ponds..... I did get rid of the duckweed problem by putting in a coupla comet goldfish (and justifyably thousands of fry).... I wonder,... (at the cost of more fry)... If maybe they can get rid of this problem as well.... I'm willing to sacrifice.
 
i personally try to avoid all algae killers because they do there job and then it will take hold again and again and if something goes pair shaped... :sad:. im guessing its that black/blue/green hairy stuff? i had it in my tank for a while all over my vallis and it was killing them, i increased the flow to 10X tank volume an hour. and it went within two weeks. this coupled with 50% water changes every 2 days will eradicate it very quickly.

sorry to sound like a broken record lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top