My lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lovebuzz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey,

I want to make a nice planted tank but I'm not too sure of my lighting. I have two 25 watt bulbs for my ten gallon. I KNOW THIS IS A LOT BUT.....they're incandescent :lol:

So with that whopping 5 wpg...will it even mean anything if it's incandescent? I'm gonna have a hard time finding a fluorescent bulc that will fit my hood, I think...I've checked all over Big Al's site and can't find something that would fit in there. Will I have to use a separate lamp? :S

Hi Richard,

Incandescent will put out a lot of heat and possible create lots of problems in your 10g (especially at 5wpg). Plus your plants will probably not do well. I would look into the mini compact fluorescents. It's a much more efficient light and they should screw right in to your existing incandescent light fixtures (check the OD for clearance).

Erik

I used to have the same problem as you, so it's a good thing I saw this thread... I was recommended several other bulbs, but I find this works the best, is the most efficient and also has a 6500K bulb rating which is very good for growing freshwater plants. :) Only thing is the cost, 17.99 each Canadian. edit - but well worth the price, you can check out my thread in the Pics forum to see how the bulbs look...

Thats a lot of money :crazy:

Fishkeeping is expensive. Ok, I'm 14 years old and I've got 70 bucks right now. I really don't think I can afford to spend that on lighting :sad: I guess I won't be able to do plants, because that price is really high. :blink: :crazy:

Plus, I'd have to get two of them just to get 2 wpg :(. So plants are out of the question unless I can find an affordable solution :/

Grrr....

You could get the lighting set from Ahsupply.com it costs $29.99 US.
http://ahsupply.com/twox.htm
It has 2x13watts which would give you 2.6 wpg which is plenty for medium lighting plants.

Then you could get two bulbs of a total cost of $12.00
You would have to build your own enclosure but if you want to not spend a lot. so that would be less than $70 including the material you would buy to build a hood.

You are right, fishkeeping is expensive, and I personally believe your decision to withhold getting live plants for now good and wise one. At 14 you have many years ahead of you to enjoy lavishly planted aquariums! :)

Oh my.... so I had to clean my room, and I went looking into the garage for the vacuum cleaner. when I found a 13 watt fluorescent lamp thingamajiggy. The Kelvin is like 6500. :d:D I'm happy. So I set it up in my room to see what it was like. I love it :eek: its nice and whitish but dim too...not like yellowish like the incandescent bulbs seem to give off. My dad said he'll take me to the store to show me the bulbs :D. I'm thinking if I say it's too expensive, it'll end up a stocking stuffer :)

I used to have this and the plants were doing great until I switched over, more so than now even. But it must be because of the 30w compared to the 20w I get now... Not sure of the kelvin rating though, could someone please help me out here, and if it is actually useful for growing plants.

:eek: That is so awesome. My hood label says to use type tubular 25 watts max...would this be ok for the tubular part? Because that looks like a good buy to me! :thumbs:

Yea, it should be alright seeing as how the bulbs are 15w each. Unless your hood label says to use type tubular 25 watts max ALTOGETHER, in which case .... :dunno: If you're buying from Home Depot or any other store don't forget to keep the receipt as when I bought mine it didn't fit in the "socket" as my bulbs were too big. In the end I got the ones I recommended, and they fit prefectly. Although they do give out that incandescent yellow light, its 3 watts over 10 gallons and it worked fine for me! Good luck! :D

No probs mate! Just be sure to do one thing for me....

Post some pics when you're done OK! :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back