My First Tank From Scratch

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Squid

grumpy old man!
Reaction score
i was given an old tank by a friend, complete with a couple of fish.. but it was a bit plasticy and fake. also looked like it was gonna break at any point. SO im ditching that and putting them in here.

I i have just been setting up a new rio 180.. its a bit cloudy as i am cycling at the moment, or a bit discoloured as there are still a few tanins coming from the wood, but that should clear when i do the big water change at the end.

Its not gonna be a planted tank, as i have standard light and no CO2.. i have just put some first layer laterite in so far. i may add a bit of anubia at the front of the rocks. I am also getting a java moss coconut cave delivered for the cory's..

No fish yet.. this is work in progress. The planting is a bit amateur as its my first go.. sticking java fern to a log can be a right pain. Hopefully it will look better when the valis grows. pics a buit crap too.

I just want a simple, easy to maintain tank without plastic really.

Front
IMG_0525-1.jpg

From Left
IMG_0527-1.jpg

From Right
IMG_0526-1.jpg

Cheers
Squid

I like the rocks! what type of rock are they?

Not sure to be honest.. saw them in a tank at the lfs, so bought some.. did the vinegar test to make sure they would be ok. Got them from pentangle garden centre place in woking.

Cheers
Squid

Nice tank Sqid! As an answer to your signature, Shrek made a candle out of ear wax

Super tank,hope those rocks are secure.woudn't want them to slip. :no:

Thanks.. They are more secure than they look.. I see what you mean :nod: . it looks like they are being leant against each other, where in fact the three at the bottom are totally free standing.. they just have sloping edges giving the impression they are balanced. The tops of one or two the rocks at the bottom also have chunks missing from them providing a stable platfrom for the one on the top.. The will have had three weeks of the cycle and me battering them when planting to put up with as a test too. :D

Appreciate the concern though, wouldnt want the new fishies to be squished in their new home would we :X :X :X

Cheers
Squid

Looks fab especialy that twisted piece of wood in the middle.

I think java ferns, moss, anbuilas and vallis all look fantastic together, its a sort of simple beauty you just cant beat, plus they don't take much looking after, as long as you keep you stocking levels down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back