My Diy 55 Gallon Adventure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vethian

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I needed a 55 gallon for my jack dempsey,so when I was able to buy a tank for $55 i jumped on it.  Each week I will be making more as my wife has set a weekly allowance.  :) So...

Week one:

A stand is built and tank is placed.  excuse the mess...im messy.  :p

IMAG0008_zpson36bhup.jpg

Someone has MTS bad. ( Multi tank syndrome )

Nice tank BTW.

Nice tank, lovely and shiny and brand new
smile.png

The stand looks a decent sturdy job, nicely done.

Planning to add doors and shelves so can hide the filter and tank bits and bobs?

What mess BTW? Have a look at my flat, with a 1 year old, 'tidy' is a thing of the past, toys everywhere
nugget.gif

And MTS is a good an bad thing combined
laugh.png

I have 5 or 6 tanks in the garage all awaiting to be set up, just need to sneak them in the flat when the GF is not looking 
nugget.gif

just need to sneak them in the flat when the GF is not looking
Girlfriends and wives are always watching, They notice everything, The only reason they don't mention it straight away is because they are saving it up.  They forget nothing.

Example. 

Her " Honey I smashed the car "
Him " What do you mean smashed the car? Is there much damage? Are you ok? "
Her " Don't you try and turn this on me mister, remember that fish tank you got? And we discussed it and decided no tank. Oh and I notice you asked about the car before you asked if I was ok."

At this point guy's, It is best to grab a pillow and a blanket and see if the dog is man's best friend by letting you share his kennel.

oy! we're not that bad Nick!

Looking good Vethian :)

Wow, seems like your setting up a new tank every few weeks!
Weekly allowance, :rofl: . I need one of those for my tanks. My other half seems to limit me to one a year. This years may be the last for a while unfortunately. :( Damn money ( or lack of ).
Will definitely be watching with interest.

Ch4rlie said:
Nice tank, lovely and shiny and brand new
smile.png

The stand looks a decent sturdy job, nicely done.

Planning to add doors and shelves so can hide the filter and tank bits and bobs?

What mess BTW? Have a look at my flat, with a 1 year old, 'tidy' is a thing of the past, toys everywhere
nugget.gif

And MTS is a good an bad thing combined
laugh.png

I have 5 or 6 tanks in the garage all awaiting to be set up, just need to sneak them in the flat when the GF is not looking 
nugget.gif

I will wait until I plumb the filtration to decide how to enclose it..  It's going to have a sump.  
smile.png
 As to the wife..she and I agreed to weekly allowances.  We both have one.  As long as I stay within the allowance, I can get what I want.  
wink.png
 Now, if I need more money, then she gets input.  

I'll be following this thread, I love your DIY's! Looking good so far, can't wait to see the rest. At least you're allowed to have more tanks, I'm not allowed anymore. :(

update time!  A friend of mine moved and donated an established filter.  A fluval 700.  So, I set up my tank with it while I gather the parts for my sump filtration.  So, today I received my LED lights.  I ordered from Amazon. $23

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-Flexible-300leds-Changing/dp/B00ASHP1CM/ref=pd_sim_60_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NR8VKJB782J76V502RN

I then purchase a gutter and two caps.  About $14  I had PVC pipe already.  I took my 1.25 in PVC and cut two half inch lengths and glued them into my gutter caps being careful to measure and glue into the same place on both caps. 

IMAG0023_zpswqxox13x.jpg

I then dug out some cable conduit stuff and found an elbow.  These should be about $1.50.  I cut out a hole in a cap and glued into place.  I caulk around to fill the gap.

IMAG0024_zpsrpskz8xv.jpg

IMAG0025_zps0ncmygzc.jpg

I measure the top of the tank and cut the gutter to length and I then cut some 1 in. PVC to length.  I dry fitted and double checked things would fit.

IMAG0026_zpsai0j3zfh.jpg

Inside I went and wrapped the LED strip around 1 in. PVC.  I then used electric tape on the ends to help hold it on.

IMAG0027_zpsxbklomx8.jpg

I ran the connectors through cap and found out I taped too close and couldn't put the light together.  I took off tape and redid the end.  Here is a shot of me testing the fit:

IMAG0028_zpshm5npcsy.jpg

LED lights working!  :)

IMAG0029_zpsiof6qmuj.jpg

It's on the tank and working great!  Next, Im going to get something to make the inside more reflective and I am going to paint the gutter with Plastdip to help keep the gutter from glowing.  :)

Side A:

IMAG0030_zpsjnavjwlh.jpg

Side B...with some blue accent:

IMAG0031_zps6wd11nvb.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I like the ingenuity of your DIY ideas and the simple but appealing fixes you come up with
smile.png

If you dont mind, I may actually copy the gutter and end caps light unit idea but fitted with t5 or t8 light with ballast unit rather than LED, just my preference not to have LED's at the moment.

Keep up the excellent work.

Thanks.  I love things like this.  You may need to reinforce the top before screwing into the plastic.  But, this could be used for t5 and t8.  I didnt want to grow plants in this tank and the color options are a nice treat.  But, I can also turn it on off with the remote.  :)

Yep, already working out in mind about that. This is of course if I dont find a nice cheap T5 unit for sale before I decide to go ahead :lol:

lol, go to places that use t5 lighting.  greenhouses and what not.  may be able to get something for free or cheap.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back