MY CORY'S LOST THEIR EYES!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Auslander

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I hate it when things like this happens becuase it makes me feel like a really lousy fish keeper, and that I'm not properly caring more my fish. I am only a novice having only been keeping fish for about 6 months or so.
Basically, the other day, I bought 2 Corydoras Strebai. I have a particular fondness for Corys. My tank is 180L and planted. I have plenty of bogwood and flints etc....loads of places to hide. I put the Corys in the tank at around 2 in the afternoon, and imagine my horror when at about 7 that evening, I came in to find one of the Sterbais with his eyes missing. I didn't know what to do, so I just left him. The funny thing is, that one of my albino Corys had a red eye the day before, but that appeared to completely heal overnight.
With the Strebai, he seemed to be relatively unaffected by his blindness, he was swimming around, still looking for food, but bumping into things.
I had to go away for a few days due to family problems and left my girlfried looking after the tank. She reported yesterday, that the other Sterbai has lost one if his eyes, and that she has isolated them both in our breeding trap (we dont have a hospital tank). When I got home this evening, the first Cory with both his eyes missing was dead.
Please give me some advice. A man I spoke to in a reputable LFS said that he thought it was my two Zebra Loach who were the culprits. He said this on the basis of my other 4 corys not having the same symptoms (bar the red eye of the Albino the other day). I have noticed for some time that there are quite a few fish in my tank with nipped fins, and about a month ago, my beta got virtually nipped to death. At the time I thought it was two Golden Gourami I had in the tank. Now I am not so sure. As if by devine intervention, my girlfriend just saw one of the Loach go for the head of one of my Corys. I think I will take them back to the shop tomorow. Your thoughts please.

maaan, that's terrible :crazy: ,poor little blind cories

Yup, my guess would be the zebra loaches too, there are certain species of loaches that are....mean as hell, I watched in disbelief as my red tailed zebra loaches killed an otto :crazy:

Probably the Zebs as wuv said they are abit aggressive to smaller fish, however, I haven't heard of them doing that before. I have heard of Clowns doing it though, so the Zebs probably do it to :( . Poor little Corys :( .

One of my peppered corys has only got one eye and he's grand. I think it may have been clown loach inflicted, but they don't live in the same tank anymore.

Hope your 'lil guys are ok.

Hi Auslander :)

I hope it was that loach that you were taking back. :unsure:

Fortunately for the little cory, they have barbels to help them locate food. Your one eyed cory will probably survive and become one of your special pets.

Please let us know how he is doing. :nod:

I also have 1 cory who is missing an eye, but he or it was born here in my home and has not had one for as long as i can remember. It gets along fine with the others, but i do feel as if it was my fault. I checked and rechecked for something in my tank that may have hurt it, but have still found nothing, may be a birth defect.
Sandy

I have a group of 8 corys I just got that I noticed about 4 of them are missing an eye and one of them has 2 damaged eyes. They seem to be fine tho. I have no idea how they got the eye damage I didn't notice until the day after I put them in my tank. :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back