My Cory died after only 2 days and now I am worried that something is wrong with my tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LindaBP

Reaction score
Hi! I have bought a cory and died no long after max 1/2 days.
I never had issues with putting fishes in my tank since I had it (6 months).

I am worried my tank might have some toxic algae because it has a electric Blu green algae that's never been there before!

So I am worried for my other fishes as well, which is a male Betta and some female goopies and a Borneo sucker.
Despite at the moment they aren't showing any sign of stress.

I did a water test the water was good, however inside the water there was a indian almond leave since the first day I put the Cory in and some Bettafix liquid because I didn't know I had to isolate the Betta with the Bettafix. I done it in the tank before and was all good with the tetras and the other fishes. Unfortunately the Cory didn't make it and it was hard to not knowing what was wrong and now I am worried I can't detect what the issue is before it's too late for my other fishes as well... Especially the Borneo which eats stuff around too.

Water temperature was too high 28° and realised this afterwards.

I put it down but was too late, so might have been a mix of water temperature, Bettafix, maybe stuff at the bottom of the tank which I have no idea what could be.

Also I know they can release a toxin if stressed. Probably a mix of everything together killed him.

The water is changed and tested regularly.

Please let me know for the algae if you know and what are your thoughts on all the above.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_125926.jpg
    IMG_20220204_125926.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220202_142431_1.jpg
    IMG_20220202_142431_1.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 51
It may honestly have just been stress. One of the three gudgeons I got for my tank died at the end of the second day. The other two are perfectly fine and never showed any sign of anything. About the meds you use, something I realized is not to use any medications unless its quarantined or a last resort and you have no other options. Its more advisable to quarantine if you can and medicate with aquarium salt instead of chemicals.

Thank you very much for your kind answer. I have recently read about the salt! I am feeling guilty of have added to the stress checking on him too often, he was just super scared of me. For the Betta fix I will definitely be more careful in the future if there's something I got to understand is that you don't chance it with fishes as are super delicate creatures! What are your thoughts in regards the blue/green algae. Do you think it's toxic or that it should be removed in someway?

Thank you very much for your kind answer. I have recently read about the salt! I am feeling guilty of have added to the stress checking on him too often, he was just super scared of me. For the Betta fix I will definitely be more careful in the future if there's something I got to understand is that you don't chance it with fishes as are super delicate creatures! What are your thoughts in regards the blue/green algae. Do you think it's toxic or that it should be removed in someway?
I would remove it if you don't like it... It'll spread, like, a ton... So, its just recommended that if you see a little to just remove it so you don't have to do a deep clean 3 months later when the algae is EVRYWHERE. And about it being toxic, I wouldn't worry too much about it affecting the fish in any way unless there was a ton of it.

Blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria) can be toxic to anything that comes in contact with it or ingests/ inhales it. It's less of an issue for fish because they evolved in water with it. But if a tank is completely covered in the stuff, it can kill fish, shrimp, snails and other aquatic organisms.
Your tank doesn't appear too badly affected by it so it is unlikely to be the cause of death.

The temperature (28C) did not kill the fish unless it came from water that was less than 18C, and that is unlikely.

The fish itself looks healthy and the cause of death could be from anything but is unlikely to be a disease. So the most probable cause would be stress from being caught, bagged up, transported and put in a new tank.

Contact the shop and see what the temperature, pH, GH & KH of their tank water is. Find out how long they had the fish for, and when they do water changes. If the fish had only come into the shop in the last few days, or they did a water change on the day you got it, or the shop assistant chased the fish around for a couple of minutes, that could be related to the death.

If you are buying fish, try to get them on the day before the shop does a water change, or at least 3 days after they have done a water change.

Try to avoid buying fish that have only just come into the shop, or who have been in the shop for less than 1 week.

If any fish in the shop tank looks unwell, don't get any fish from that tank.

If the shop assistant takes more than a couple of seconds to catch a fish, that could cause problems. If they are chasing fish all over the tank, tell them to stop and you will get something else, or ask for someone else to get the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back