My Baby Arrows

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Might want to read this mate...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/mobile/content.php?sid=4951

:eek:

I agree that it shouldn't take that much to heat a tank. Large volumes of water hold heat very efficiently. I used to know of a shop that had a huge marine display tank - I can't remember how much it held but it was basically the size of a small room. The store owner would point out that despite its size, it was heated by a single 100w heater. The point was, as it was well insulated, and as the ambient temperature was quite high, once the correct temperature was reached it took relatively little power to maintain it.

josephsureshbabu Tuesday April 10th, 2012, 5:07 pm
it is better to charge the owner to send the fish back to its native habitat or put the fish to sleep rather than spending public money for somebody's enthusiasm.

mark evenden Monday April 23rd, 2012, 5:25 pm
Bit patronising to assume hobbiests "chuck lotions and potions in the tank" and how can you really take a report seriously that contains sentences such as,

" and prices are roughly off the internet"

Whilst this is indeed a serious problem with in our hobby, surely a report that is accurate and publishes real figures (not estimates) would have more impact?

The heating figures quoted do seem a very poor guess based on my own experience of heating large volumes of water.

not one person beleves that this is true

I agree that it shouldn't take that much to heat a tank. Large volumes of water hold heat very efficiently. I used to know of a shop that had a huge marine display tank - I can't remember how much it held but it was basically the size of a small room. The store owner would point out that despite its size, it was heated by a single 100w heater. The point was, as it was well insulated, and as the ambient temperature was quite high, once the correct temperature was reached it took relatively little power to maintain it.

it is better to charge the owner to send the fish back to its native habitat or put the fish to sleep rather than spending public money for somebody's enthusiasm.

Bit patronising to assume hobbiests "chuck lotions and potions in the tank" and how can you really take a report seriously that contains sentences such as,

Whilst this is indeed a serious problem with in our hobby, surely a report that is accurate and publishes real figures (not estimates) would have more impact?

The heating figures quoted do seem a very poor guess based on my own experience of heating large volumes of water.

The heating may be not 100% accurate on that article, but it's an estimate.
A lot more accurate than your 100w for a room sized tank story.

I'm sorry, but I hate seeing fish like this being bought when it's very clear the outcome is not going to be good.
Without going off topic, go you have insane amount of gallons foot print ready for these three fish of yours (RTC, 2x Silver Arowana)?

The heating may be not 100% accurate on that article, but it's an estimate.
A lot more accurate than your 100w for a room sized tank story.

I'm sorry, but I hate seeing fish like this being bought when it's very clear the outcome is not going to be good.
Without going off topic, go you have insane amount of gallons foot print ready for these three fish of yours (RTC, 2x Silver Arowana)?

Op stated the tank is only going to be 4 feet long by 4 feet wide but surely you'd be lookin more along the lines of at least 5-6 feet wide and 8 - 10 feet long. Obviously I'm saying this would be a minimum but seems more realistic for housing these monster fish long term. Oh and a lot more in means of heating than a single 100 watt heater lol I'm using 2 300 watt heaters in my 120 gal. Your talking thousands of gallons needed here

I had to use 3 300w heaters and a 500w heater on my 766 gallon so 1400 watts so you'll need a lot More than 100w

And the rtc could do no more than turn in a circle in that tank :crazy:

Bae

well it dosnt matter anymore like i said im a iron worker and i just got news today that i have the option to move to new jersy in 2 months for a 5year job and a 6 doller raze so im selling everything on cragslist once i get a place down there im gonna be building the tank ill post pics of it then and since everyone loves rtc so much i prb wont be gettin a new one lol

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Large bodys of water can retain heat remarkably well. i cant remeber the specifics but a gut in pfk last year had a outdoor amazonian tank that was so well insulated when turning the heater off over night it dropped by 1 or 2 degrees.

tripp im not being mean when i say ths but the fact that you have brught all these monster fish and not even checked with your landlord that you can have a tank to house them, is the firssign that tells me your not serious about these fish.

secondly the fact that you rent your property is an issue as your landlord only needs to give you 2 months notice and your out on your #14### and i cant see another landlord renting there place to you if you have a 8ft plus fish tank.

thirdly the fact that you know how big the fish get5 and your still set on building a 4ft box is crazy. a jack russel wont grow to 4ft but you wouldnt keep one in a four foot box. do you have any isea how fast a rtc or silver aro can swim, . . unless you had a huge pond it would just be cruel

sorry to join in with everyone dissing your plans but there doing it for a reason

Sorry didnt see your last post about moving but the fact that your not in a stable environment and "set up for life" (i.e with your own place or a perminant job) is testiment why you cannot commit to these fish

Large bodys of water can retain heat remarkably well. i cant remeber the specifics but a gut in pfk last year had a outdoor amazonian tank that was so well insulated when turning the heater off over night it dropped by 1 or 2 degrees.
I have my tank in an insulated shed, around 1000litre tank so not a massive volume of water but still fairly large, i have 4 300watt heaters (2 in sump 2 in the tank) and very rarely see them on at all so what you're saying sounds right, i also didnt notice my electricity bill go up much which points to the heaters not being on most of the time. My tank is normally around 27-28oC

ok so i didnt move to jersy i thout it was a 5 year job turns out it was a 2-4 month job deff not enuff time for me to worry about moveing

ok and there where a few people on this site that said i dont have a stabel job or house cause i rent my house iv been in this place for over 3years and a iron worker all my life so plz do not just add things off the top of your heads to make ur selfs sound good thank you :good:

also i sold the rtc to a guy on cragslist befor i found out they cut the jersy job from 5 years to a few months so know all i got is the silver arrow and a oscar and i wont be getting another rtc

i am building the tank i said i was gonna build and im gonna put pics up right after this post just have to figger out how to do it

120707_0002.jpg
120707_0001.jpg
120707_0000.jpg
120707_0003.jpg

ok so i had the plywood pre cut at the store cause its only 25cents a cut and it makes for str8 cuts

ok i got everything home and set up to start building i spent 130$ on the wood and 180$ on the glass

1341678318062.jpg
1341678310957.jpg

wooot now the fun starts

1341680856652.jpg
1341680868411.jpg

ok got the box made so know time to fram the inside of it

120707_0012-2.jpg
120707_0011-1.jpg

hahahha the guy in the pic is my buddy and we kinda missed a few steps cause we got movein and forgot to take pics lolol but this is where we left off we brout it inside just to see what it would look like

120707_0010.jpg

ok back out to get the glass in
120707_0015.jpg
120707_0017.jpg

in this pic u can see the fiber glass reazon around the vewing glass and we strted to colk everything with wood colk so all the coners where filled in and there where no sharp spots
120707_0016.jpg

ok a few hrs later everythings dry so its time to put the rubber inside and yes that me in the pics lol

1341777258155.jpg
1341777293301.jpg
1341778868267.jpg

ok so i have to show u guys this we where mixin the rubber paint with a peace of wood hahahah that thing broke in like 5 mins so my gf went inside and got a wooden spoon and started mixen it hahahaha and out of the blue she says why dont we put it in the drill and mix it that way hahahaha
1341778855273.jpg
1341778845959.jpg
so thats what we did and it worked like magic

120708_0009.jpg
ok so the 1st coat is done now i had to weant till today to add the 2nd u have to let it dry 24hrs befor applying extra coats and i know theres paint on the glass nothing a razor wont fix

ok so the stand is a simply one so i only took 2 pics it will be wraped with some kinda nice wood....what ever the gf chooses :good: but hear it is
1341772201220.jpg
1341772162696.jpg

once the paint is done and i start dowin the filters and pipeing it ill take more pics and post them

Looks good, did you put epoxy resin or something similar on the wood before painting it? Or is the blue stuff a type of epoxy?

Well, good for you. I can tell you from my heart it is very, very nice to be proved wrong :D How big is that thing?!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back