my arowanna

laxislyf6461

Reaction score
hey guys i just went to the fish store and saw a 10 inch arowanna in a 20 gallon tank and i thougth that was kinda cruel so i brought it home into my 130g.......i didnt feed it the first day so now the next day i see it go after my cichlids so i gave it some frozen prawn and all it did was just eat it and then spit it back out........i want to know if this is normal or is it just getting use to the tank......i dont know much about arowannas so can nebody please help me?

:eek: OMG - do you realise how big these fish get? :hyper:

...anything upto 4'.....

a predator - predominantly at the surface but will eat any other fish that will fit its mouth..... :/

:)

Well for a start the arowana is going to need a much bigger home than a 130,if its a silver then it will get to 48" and will need a tank a minimum of 8 feet by 3 feet by 30 inches.Secondly they are out and out predators that may only take live food,only large high bodied fish like severums and other similar shaped cichlids or large chracins like silver dollars are safe from being eaten,large bottom dwellers (catfish) may be left alone too.
They are jumpers so the tank needs to have a very heavy lid to prevent the fish from smashing it open during one of its powerful leaps.
I wish you luck in keeping this fish though i feel that you may be better off returning it to the fish store,they are not really a community friendly fish and require more space than most can provide.

I fed my arowana feeders, bloodworms, shrimp, and they LOVE crickets. He also ate pellet food. Great fish, to bad they get so large. You have a bit of time before that fish outgrows your tank. So hopefully by then you can upgrade. That fish can also live upwards of 60 years or more.

Some interesting info I had found when i had my silver:

Care of adolescent arowanas is a little different than that given to small ones. One similarity though is that medium sized arowanas, those up to 14", can often successfully be kept in a community tank with large size non-hostile species such as angelfish, discus, severums, or virtually any other fish this size that would not attack the arowana. Because they are not predatory towards fish they cannot swallow whole, they could still be considered a community fish in a qualified sense.

That community tank which houses a medium arowana had better be large, however, because even a 14" specimen still has quite a bit of growing to do. A 55 gallon tank is a minimum requirement in my estimation. Eventually, a 125 gallon tank would be desirable if the hobbyist wishes to display his valued specimen for the most dramatic effect. An arowana can be contained in a 55 gallon for his entire captive lifespan though, for those hobbyists who want to own an arowana but have nowhere to put a 125 gallon tank.

By this point you may have come to wonder how large your pet ` `leviathan" is going to grow. My own specimen, "Clyde", had reached a length of 20" by 3 years of age and, apparently, was capable of a great deal more growth. He is still 20" at age 8, having been stunted by being kept in a 55 gallon tank all of that time. I have spoken with jungle collectors, sports fishermen, and Game and Fish Officers, and the various estimates, opinions, and experiences I have accumulated place the figure for maximum growth somewhere between 6 and 8 feet.

Grzimer's Animal Life Encyclopedia, Vol. 4 (Fishes I) places the length of arowanas at 60 cm., or about 2 feet, with which I am tempted to disagree. It may be that since the species have been overfished in much of South America because of the encroachments of civilization, large, fully grown specimens have become exceedingly rare. But that does not mean the species cannot attain a size of 6 feet. After all, in the early days of our own country, Maine lobsters of 40 lbs. were not uncommon; whereas today such sizes are unheard of and almost unbelievable.

Our captive arowanas do stop growing, however, at least they do not grow perceptibly after they have reached a certain size determined by the confinement of their aquarium. This is fortunate, because a 20" arowana is hard enough to manage during moving and maintenance. I cannot imagine how a hobbyist could handle a 30" specimen. It would have to be traumatic both for the aquarist and the arowana.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Steven Dow, a well-known author of articles and books for the aquarium hobbyist, has been an aquarist for 22 of his 32 years, specializing in the care, breeding, and behavior of fresh water fishes. In addition, he is a sait water aquarist and has been a tropical fish deaier in Orlando, Florida for the past 10 years. Steven Dow has had over 50 articles pablished, most of them dealing with the technical aspects of aquariology for dealers, and has been a columnist for Pet Dealer Magazine tor three years, writing on various subjects of interest to the tropical fish dealer. Steve has published five books including "Your Aquarium", "Your Vacation", "Your Relocation", "Breeding Angelfish For The Hobbyist And Professional", and "Success with Corydoras Catfish." Two more books authored by Steven Dow are scheduled for publication this yeer. In addition, Steve is a Contributing Editor for Freshwater And Marine Aquarium Magazine.

I should note that i think this info is a little out of date. I definately think you need a tank that is at least 250 gal for the fish to live a decent life.

i know how big they get and if i had not of got it it would have died.......i have 2 oscars and 2 pacus in the tank and they are medium size fish that the arrowana so far will not try to eat.......i know that the pacus and oscars and especially the arrowana get really big but for now they are more then happy in my 130g. i dont think that the arowanna will be a problem for now unless it grows faster then the oscars and the pacus which i dont think will happen.............and im not goin to give it back to the store because if i do they wil just kill it. if nebody has more information please keep replying.....thank u

impur said:
A 55 gallon tank is a minimum requirement in my estimation. Eventually, a 125 gallon tank would be desirable if the hobbyist wishes to display his valued specimen for the most dramatic effect. An arowana can be contained in a 55 gallon for his entire captive lifespan though, for those hobbyists who want to own an arowana but have nowhere to put a 125 gallon tank.

My own specimen, "Clyde", had reached a length of 20" by 3 years of age and, apparently, was capable of a great deal more growth. He is still 20" at age 8, having been stunted by being kept in a 55 gallon tank all of that time.
That is the biggest load of cr&p i have ever read,even fish like bala sharks look cramped in a 55g and they only get to 13" imagine what it would look like keeping a 20 or 30 inch fish in a tank that size.
The writer of that article must be a complete idiot and IMO should not be keeping fish,anyone who would deliberately stunt his fish and recomend publicly that others should do so too dosent deserve to even keep guppies.

I nearly bought one of these a while back but was advised not to by several members of the board,and mine was to be housed in a 200 US gallon tank.I am glad i took the advice as i have since seen a 36" arowana for sale in a new shop i found.It is housed in a 10 foot wide by 3 foot deep by 3 foot high tank and still looks cramped,this is a fish that really shouldnt be bought unless you have a very sizeable indoor pond to house it in once it outgrows the largest tank you have.

Like i stated you have time before you need more room. Your aro is at the point that it will grow rather slowely. I have read that after about 18" some don't grow more than 2-3" per year. Get some nice color enhancing pellets, crickets, pinky mice, worms, krill, small birds. One word of advice is keep away from fatty foods such as feeder goldfish. Excessive fatty foods will lead to eyedroop. Thats where the eye protrudes out of the head and sort of droop because of fatty buildup behind it. And i don't think these fish can get ANY disease!!! :lol: Being a prehistic fish, it must have quite the immunities to most disease. It preys on sick, and dieing fish in the wild so this must be the case.

well u guys dont think that nething will happen to my oscars or my pacus right??? so far it has been really pepaceful. the only thing that concerns me is that its not eating................when i went to buy i it leaped from its tank to the goldfishes tank and it ate all of the goldfish maybe thats y it hasnt eten in 2 days?

haha that would be a site. I wouldn't worry if it did in fact eat a bunch of goldfish a few days ago. Just try different things. Fish can go a good week without food, and an arowana can probably go longer.

As far as your oscars and pacu the only worry i would have is the oscars picking on the aro. Should be fine though if they are larger. Oscars are more docile when larger i have found.

yea now my worries have turned......now my smallest oscar is picking at my aro.....anything to worry bout or something that i should do or will he stop eventually???

Thats not a good sign. You could try taking the oscars out for awhile and rearranging the tank, if you have things in it. Otherwise i would suggest a divider (a piece of the plastic eggcrate would work great and is very inexpensive). The oscar will kill your arowana.

the oscars are only like 4-5 iches the aro is almost 9 or 10......................ive also spotted two white dots on on ethe fins of my pacu.......can that be the beginning of ich?

Ich - possibly :/ - keep a close eye - any other symptoms?

Oscars are very terratorial and aggressive - try impurs suggestions....

....or get another tank lol ;)

:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back