My 3 month old filter died

SnowQueen

Reaction score
When I got my 10 gallon tank, it came with a filter and heater. The heater is a good quality heater, but the filter is a cheapo filter as I soon found out.
The filter, which is only 3 months old decided to go kapootz.
I was told to change the filter pad every 3 months, which today was my first attempt. I believe I was given the wrong information and that the filter pad should be changed more often.
Anyway, I need to get another filtration ASAP and I was hoping on getting advice on which brand to go with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am going to go tomorrow night after work to buy a new system since having no filter is an emergency situation.

Thanks in advance!!

If you want an "over the top" filter the Aquaclear series are great. I think most people use the aquaclear mini or 150 for 10 gal. Depends on how much flow you want. Also, I wouldnt change your filter pad so often. The beneficial bacteria that keep your tank healthy grow on that. If you must change it so often put in two halves and alternate changing them so every so often change one, then the next time it comes up cahnge the other one, so that the bacteria are always there and you aren't starting from scratch.

Good Luck!
Pat

Hi SnowQueen :)

I recommend the AquaClear 150 for a 10 gallon tank. I use them myself and like them better than others I have had. Skip the mini - get the 150. It costs very little more and will give you a little more flexibility in stocking options.

This filter comes with a sponge and a carbon pack. You can save the carbon in case you want to remove medicine at some point. Instead, get a bag of filter floss and fill the chamber over the sponge with the floss. This will greatly inhance its ability to remove particles from the water.

Every week you should siphon the bottom of the tank to remove solid waste and add some fresh water. If you do this, it should be several weeks between cleanings for the filter. When the filter floss becomes very dirty, take it out and discard it. Put in new floss. The sponge will still be holding the bacteria you need.

You will only need to clean the sponge every few weeks when it begins to fill up and starts to clog. Then, rinse it out in some of the water you took out of the tank when cleaning it. A filter sponge will last a long time if you treat it this way. It will only have to be replaced when it gets so old that it shrinks or otherwise begins to break down.

I have a question.. how exactly does a filter "die"? I've had the impeller in my motor stop once or twice, but knocking the side of it or spinning it with my hand got it going again.. A newer bigger filter would probably be appreciated by your fish but I am still curious..

I had an old fluval die. The mechanics that make the impleller go went. I think it overheated when I went away one weekend. I think thats the biggest problem, running them without water it'll fry it tout suite.

Also a question, directed to inchworm, but anyone can answer it. I switched to the floss based on your advice, but now without the weight of the carbon, the basket for the sponge etc, will float up from time to time. I know they have little tabs that they hold on in the filter, but I don't think they are very big. have you ever encountered this?

Thanks
Pat

pmoyniha said:
Also a question, directed to inchworm, but anyone can answer it. I switched to the floss based on your advice, but now without the weight of the carbon, the basket for the sponge etc, will float up from time to time. I know they have little tabs that they hold on in the filter, but I don't think they are very big. have you ever encountered this?
Hi pmoyniha :)

I know exactly what you mean about the sponge floating up.

When the basket or sponge floats up it is usually a sign that the sponge is clogged up and the water can't pass through it. If you then take the basket out and rinse the basket and sponge in tank water, then put it back, it should solve the problem.

When this happens, it's usually a good idea to pull the plug, take the intake tube out and then spill the water from the chamber out. You will probably find it is full of gooky stuff that you don't want to go back into the tank.

While you have the filter shut down, you might want to clean the motor. This is routine maintanence for an AquaClear and should be done every so often to keep it in good condition.

To do this, take the entire filter off the tank and unscrew the motor part from the plastic. The impeller will come out and can be cleaned. I take the motor to the sink and run water into it to dislodge anything that might be stuck in there and then wipe it out with a cotton swab. Clean the impeller under running water. I've found algae, and even hair wrapped around it. Once it is clean, reassemble the filter and it will be good as new. :nod:

Thank you very much for everyones replies.
Actually, I got the filter running back up that night. I found out that I didn't set it up properly when I took it apart to be cleaned up.
I do however plan to buy a new filter though. The filter I have has the sponge and the carbon all in one cartridge. This is a problem due to when I want to add medicin to the tank I can't remove the carbon. I am going to check out the AquarClear filter. It sounds like a good product.

Thank you again ! !

Thanks inchworm.. I didnt even think of that cause I had cleaned it recently, but I also planted several new plants recently so they have likely caused the clog with some leaf loosin stress....

Thanks again!
Pat

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back