My 100g Cichlid Community :)

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Glenbo1981

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My current stock is

3 x Severum (1 x Gold,1 x Turquoise,1 x Banded,heros efasciatus)
1 x Female Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher)
1 x Green Acara (Aequidens coeruleopunctatus)
1 x Rainbow Cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa)
1 x Pearl Eartheater (Geophagus brasiliensis)
2 x Angel Fish (1 x Koi,1 x Black,Pterophyllum scalare)
1 x Blue Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
1 x Firemouth Cichlid (Thorichthys meeki)
1 x Sail fin Plec (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)
3 x bosemani rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)
3 x Red Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus)
3 x Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus)

1 of the Severums will be rehomed later once I picked the 2 i want to keep and the one i want to sell and the Firemouth is in the process of being rehomed because of aggression.

Also getting a bubble wall soon to cover back of tank :p

The filtration - the important bit
2x Externals to help with the Cichlid waste!

DSCF0048.jpg

the tank

I use 2x powerheads and 2x 300W heaters

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

Photo0867.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0152.jpg

DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

my baby severum that i hope turns into a Rotkeil

Currently 1" about the size of a 10p piece...very greedy and holds his own well :) bought him from maidenhead aquatics last week for £7

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0002-1.jpg

My Gold/Red Spot cross efaciatus/Severum

Had this guy for 2 years,he was a dull lemon colour when I first got him and as hes got older he has got more and more Red Spotted. i bought him from Maidenhead aquatics in 2007 for £25 as a 4.5" specimen he is currently only 7" but has been growing deeper rather than longer.

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0137.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF00167.jpg

My Green/Turq Efaciatus/Severum

Impulse buy,has great character but not the prettiest fish in teh tank,i bought this guy for £4 from Maidenhead Aquatics 3 months ago as a 1" specimen,hes currently 3.5" and very greedy and a lot more agressive than my Gold

DSCF0206.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0204.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

Green Acara (Aequidens coeruleopunctatus)

Thought this guy was a Blue Acara when i bought him,turns out to be something very similar but different in his own way,bought him for £4 from Maidenhead aquatics

DSCF0043.jpg

DSCF0048-1.jpg

DSCF0066-1.jpg

My Male Pearl Cichlid (Geophagus Brasiliensis)

Great impulse buy,looked amazing in the shop as a 4" fish,bought him for £10 from Maidenhead aquatics hes currently about 5-6" 4 months on

DSCF0092-1.jpg

DSCF0146.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

My very aggressive male Tri-Spot Gourami

Bought this guy from Watermarque in 2007 for £3.50....extremely territorial and most aggressive fish in my tank but also very beautiful.

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

Female Kribensis/Pelvichromis Pulcher

Bought her as a part of a pair from maidenhead aquatics for £7 the male was very territorial and would fight with my Firemouths....eventually my Firemouth got the better of him and i found him in pieces :( the Female is fine and is not territorial at all tho :)

DSCF0133.jpg

DSCF0148.jpg

Male Boesmani rainbow

Bought him with 2 others from Bow Aquatics for a bargain of £13 about 2 months ago,they are all around 1-2"

DSCF0116.jpg

Red Rainbow fish

Bought these guys for a total of £24 from Maidenhead aquatics recentley...only one has coloured up so far,they are all around 3.5"

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0007-1.jpg

Koi Angel Fish

Bought this oe and the one below from fellow forum member Seanie about a year ago for £10 for both (bargain!)...both are about 5" and grown a fair bit since i bought them

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0050-1.jpg

Black Angelfish

The weaker but prettier one of the two,got him at the same time as the one above^

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

Rainbow Cichlid

Bought this guy last week for £4 from Maidenhead Aquatics,hes a very shy fish...rarely see him,has beautiful orange and blue colouration when hes happy,sadly my Firemouth is making sure this poor dude doesent ever colour up,something im fixing soon.

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

Over aggressive Firemouth :p

Ahhh mr. Meeki,hes a great character and very responsive to me (as was his mate who i sold recentley) sadly as cool as he is is not a very good tank mate so he will have to go soon,I bought him for £5 from Watermarque back in 2007

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

Clown Loaches

Bought these guys for £5.95 each from Taunton Aquarium center,These fish are cool...everyone knows that :) they fight with eachother over food...cuddle up together to sleep...lol

One of them is shy and always stays in the flower pots unless there is food,wheras 2 of them are always together.

DSCF0098.jpg

Gibbiceps/Sailf Fin Plec

I love these dudes...I think there face looks like Kermit the Frog in a weird way :p I bought him from Taunton Aquarium Center for £2.95 about 3 months ago as a less than 1" finger nail sized specimen,in 3 months he has grown to around 5"!!!!!!! always eating and always colorful :)

DSCF0037.jpg

Haha pretty little thing aint she :)

I love my Brasiliensis,amazing that I have been keeping fish for ten years and never heard of or saw one before! I didnt have a clue what he was I just saw him...drooled then bought him there and then! lol gawjus fish,nice attitude for a cichlid (on level with Sevs) and very responsive :p

I'm a sucker for Cichlids...can you tell? lol

I'm thinking baout getting a Festivum once my Firemouth has been rehomed (or i give him back to the shop) What are these guys liek to keep? IMO I think he coudl be ideal to put in my set up,any of you guys had any experience on these?

I might pos this up in the NW Cichlid thread :)

I have never kept one, nearly brought one a few times but decided against it as felt my fish were to aggressive, there ment to be very placid from what i understand, there was someone a while ago posting his fest and said it was great, there understated in my oppinion,very rarely see them

Thanks for the info nelly :)

i see them down my local Watermarque in Taunton quite often,they are usually priced around £5.25

Anybody know if tehre are different colour morphs? because the babys usually look quite dull that they stock.

Its a rescape :p

First it had a dark background and not much decor,then i added the (expensive) wood and pebbles and stuff and put a blue background on instead.

im so jealous, you cant find a piece of wood like that around here, its so hard to find..

btw ur background puts it off in my opinion, MORE REAL PLANTS PUH-LEASE ;D

I would but my Severums will devour them :p trust me I tried!

I just sold my Firemouth and Turquoise Severum today and bought a true Blue Acara (atleast I hope it is!)

So my stocking now is...

2 x Severum (1 x Gold,1 x Banded possibly Rotkeil,heros efasciatus)
1 x Female Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher)
1 x Green Acara (Aequidens coeruleopunctatus)
1 x Blue Acara (Aequidens Pulcher)
1 x Rainbow Cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa)
1 x Pearl Eartheater (Geophagus brasiliensis)
2 x Angel Fish (1 x Koi,1 x Black,Pterophyllum scalare)
1 x Blue Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
1 x Sail fin Plec (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)
3 x bosemani rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)
3 x Red Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus)
3 x Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus)

I'm still interested in Festivum and a Red Spotted Severum if i ever see any.

Most reactions

Back