April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, as some of you know, I recently got a monster of a tank (125 gallons). I also have a fairly small apartment. I have, tentatively, decided where the 125 will go. But I have to move 7 of my other 12 tanks.

I know how to do this somewhat safely with my fish move fish to temporary housing, empty water and heavy decorations and get on with the moving.

For my shrimp tanks I am much more hesitant. Will it harm my shrimplets to be sucked up by the syphon? That is the only way I can think of to actually catch them.

I am also going to change the substrate in my 15 column tank. How do I make sure I get all the little guys out of the gravel before switching it to the sand? Just use the syphon and the usual net for the ones large enough?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

I regularly siphon up baby shrimps by accident and they don't seem to be harmed.

For the gravel, the simplest way is to siphon all the water out and go through the old water. Then put some warm dechlorinated water in and siphon again.

It will not harm them, though it may shock them. That is actually the easiest way to catch them IMO.

Thank you for the replies. Most of them are big enough to net, but I saw a new hatched shrimp just a couple of days ago. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't kill them.

Thank you for the replies. Most of them are big enough to net, but I saw a new hatched shrimp just a couple of days ago. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't kill them.
Just make sure you have warm, de chlorinated water in the bucket before hand. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back