What's new

Moved My Fish To A New Tank! Need Help!

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Hxoxoxoxoxo

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Okay, so firstly Hi, my name is Hamza, I'm from the UK and am rather new to the hobby (and this site).

and I want to apologise for having such a long post, I just really don't want any fish to die.

I have just finished my 1st year of university, and liked the idea of getting a fish tank to help de-stress, as I've been told it can be very relaxing to watch the fish swim, and have fun in their tank.

However as i'm the only carer for the fish... (Do I get carers allowance?), it's not very calming right now!!!

So to explain it all met me start by saying I started with a small 25 Litre tank that housed 8 fish, (3 Black Emperor Tetras, 2 Glow-light Tetras, 2 Leopard Danios, and one Boesemani Rainbow). Now after about 2 weeks one of the Leopard Danios died, it was being bullied by the Boesemani Rainbow, and looks like it had been bullied to death, (Bottom of the fish looks like it had been frayed/bit). One month into keeping the fish, I decided I wanter to upgrade the tank giving them more room to swim, and have fun. to having researched for about a week, I would a great deal on a Clear-Seal 3ft Fish Tank. I took the opportunity and bought the item, and started to order new accessories for the tank. During this time frame, my mother decided to buy some Angel fish as she liked their peaceful manner, so they were added to the small tank.

Now I will point out that at this stage I was checking water quality every couple of days, and only had high Nitrite levels above 25. I was told if it was below 50 the fish are okay. 

After about 1 week of having the tank delivered, and now having received all the accessories I decided to set it up. So I went ahead, added the substrate, added new (rinsed) gravel, and some (rinsed) sand. I then also added the plants, some potted, some bunched, to give a more natural look to the aquarium. I made sure that all my airlines, well the two I wanted to use, were all under the substrate, gravel, and sand, so nothing but the air stone could be seen so I went ahead and filled the tank 1/2 way, and added my decor. Filling the rest of the tank, and turing on the filter, heater, air pump, and making sure the lighting was working, on a timer. As I was aware I had to cycle the tank, But I didn't want to wait 2 or so weeks or even months, so I decided to do some research. I did let the tank cycle for 1 day, in which the water did go cloudy.

I read that as I was UPGRADING from a small tank, I could use the filter medium or the whole filter to give me a head start in producing some of the beneficial bacteria. so I decided to add some of the water from my old tank, and come of the equipment, as it could hold small amounts of beneficial bacteria. As I also have younger cousins aged 3/10, they were a little too eager to have the fish in the larger tank, so I decided to add the fish, starting with my 2 glow-light tetras and the angel fish, then after around 5 hours, I added the others.

I woke up this morning, as I usually do and counted the number of fish, they were all there. I tested the water, (I was testing every day, as it was a new tank), and all tests were fine, and I fed the fish as I usually do. I had to pop out of the house for the reminder of the day, but when I got home, I was trying to count the fish, and I couldn't find one, I was looking in the plants, as this is how the Leopard Danio was found, but no. I just assumed it was hiding behind all the decor. after about 20 mins, when I sat down near the tank, I noticed something at the bottom of the filter, at first I thought it was one of the plants, (The bunched one kept coming loose) but it wasn't it was my missing Glow-Light.. I hurried to take the fish out, and checked it, it was dead, I was so surprised, there was no odd behaviour, she was eating well, and looked to have a full belly of eggs too. The only thing I could notice was slight red-ish-ness on she gills. I tested the water, and all reading again were fine, other fish seamed fine, and were enjoying exploring the tank. So I went on the research and read about ammonia poisoning ad that its effect can be this red colouring. however the ammonia levels were at a constant 0. I was truly confused as to what had happened.

Therefore here I am, asking the experts. I am going to be removing a lot of the decor tomorrow morning, as I feel it looks too busy, there's a lot going on. but it doesn't explain what's happening.

For anyone that wants to know, I'm using:
Superfish Aqua-Flow 100 internal filter (The old one, but the one the fish was under)
Hagen Marina Internal Aquarium Filter i110 (The new one)
Fluval E-Series Heater 100w
Tetra APS 100 Air Pump

If anyone has any advice, or comments please help me, I don't think i'll be in the hobby much if this is what's gonna happen. I can't afford to keep buying more fish, once others die.

I can upload a picture of my tank so you can see what's going on in there.

Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum!  Sorry you have come with such issues.

Please clarify the new tank - what size is it, how many liters?  You only said it is 3 ft which is not going to tell us the info we need to help you.  If you do not know how many liters, please give the dimensions.

What is the make of the test kit you are using please.
Are any fish showing signs of distress like gasping, laboured breathing, darting, turn upside down.
Do the gills looks inflamed?

Freedom said:
Welcome to the forum!  Sorry you have come with such issues.

Please clarify the new tank - what size is it, how many liters?  You only said it is 3 ft which is not going to tell us the info we need to help you.  If you do not know how many liters, please give the dimensions.

Hi, thank you for the welcome, and the replies.

My tank holds up to 110 Litres, but i have just under 100 Litres in it.

WILDER said:
What is the make of the test kit you are using please.
Are any fish showing signs of distress like gasping, laboured breathing, darting, turn upside down.
Do the gills looks inflamed?

I am using the King British 6 in 1 Water test Kit. I am hoping to get a chemical test kit today, (I've been told strips are't as accurate).

Fish seem fine, all swimming around, and exploring the new tank. None of them look to be stressed to have inflamed gills. Although I will admit that i don't know what I should be looking for I can try and get some images of the fish to show you what they look like. also Ive not seen any of the fish 'turn upside down' 

Test strip cards are not accurate. Liquid test kits are the best.
Once we get your readings we will go from there.

If you seen any fish gasping at surface of tank, laboured breathing, darting, turning upside down. preform an immediate water change.

Good to hear you are being responsible and researching for yourself and getting help. That's the way you learn.
Your knowledge increases so you know how to keep your fish properly.

Research fish for tank size, adult size, if there compatible with other fish you keep.

WILDER said:

If you seen any fish gasping at surface of tank, laboured breathing, darting, turning upside down. preform an immediate water change.

Good to hear you are being responsible and researching for yourself and getting help. That's the way you learn.

Research fish for tank size, adult size, if there compatible with other fish you keep.

I will hopefully be getting a Liquid Test kit today. I have however just noticed that my Angel Fish are both swimming towards the top of the water surface they're not taking gasps of air from the top, but look like they're looking for food. 

Ive provided links, one of an image of my tank, The fish are camera shy, so they wouldn't let me take a picture, and one of one of my angel fish swimming towards the top.

(Tank) - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpmdgmUCAAABLSz.jpg:large

(Angel Fish) - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpmdkd1CEAAubYp.jpg:large (I apologise the image is given the wrong was around)

Nice set up!  You definitely need a proper test kit.  Post readings and then more folks will be able to make suggestions for you.

Hi, so yeah I just got home from pet store, purchased the testing kit, and got the tests done. I was given 4 of the main tests, as the store doesn't sell them separately, but does have a deal on if you want to buy all 4. So the reading for the tests are as follows

PH between 7.0 and 7.5, more towards 7.5
Nitrite 0.3 mg/l
Ammonia 0.25 mg/l
Nitrate 12.5 mg/l

Also I got home and found one of my angel fish at the bottom of the tank. I had carried out a water change in the morning before leaving out, and of course I treated the water as I usually do. I am just so confused as to what's happening.

Here is an attached image of the Angel fish, if you see anything wrong with her, please let me know.

(Do not look if easily upset by images)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpoATS2CAAAfA39.jpg:large

Please help!!!

WILDER said:

Hi so i posted my reading above, any suggestions as to what's going on???

Any form of ammonia or nitrite is toxic even in it's small quantities,
My only advice would be to do a 50% water change every day, as your doing a fish in cycle.
I also recommend using Seachem prime/safe as your dechlorinator as it detoxifies these harmful nasties!
Also not sure if you have an air pump/air stone but I highly suggest using one, it's great for keeping nitrates lower, providing essential oxygen for your fish & your beneficial bacteria.

DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FISH, I'm sure that goes without saying but had to add it haha
You would also benefit from adding a secon filter to the tank, internal or external will do.
Can I ask where in the Uk you are? If it's anywhere near me you'd be welcome to come over and I'd give you a handful of my filter media which would help greatly as my filters are mature.

If you know anyone else in the hobby you can also ask them for media to seed your tank with.

paradiddle said:
My only advice would be to do a 50% water change every day, as your doing a fish in cycle.
I also recommend using Seachem prime/safe as your dechlorinator as it detoxifies these harmful nasties!
Also not sure if you have an air pump/air stone but I highly suggest using one, it's great for keeping nitrates lower, providing essential oxygen for your fish & your beneficial bacteria.

DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FISH, I'm sure that goes without saying but had to add it haha
You would also benefit from adding a secon filter to the tank, internal or external will do.
Can I ask where in the Uk you are? If it's anywhere near me you'd be welcome to come over and I'd give you a handful of my filter media which would help greatly as my filters are mature.

If you know anyone else in the hobby you can also ask them for media to seed your tank with.

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I did a 50% water change yesterday and today. the remaining fish seem fine, and don't seem to be stressed.

I have an air pump, which separates into 2 airlines, both with air-stones attached, both air stones are on, and working fully. I am using the TetraTec Air pump 150 i think.

I will have a look for the Seachem prime/safe I wonder if it's sold at Pets at Home? otherwise ill order it online.

Also I am using my pervious filter as well as the new one in my aquarium. The previous one is a Superfish aqua flow 100, and have seen a huge decline in the cloudy ness since its use. Presumably the beneficial bacteria is truly giving the tank a helping hand. 

Thanks.

It's not sold at pets at home I'm afraid, I buy mine from warehouse aquatics that's the cheapest place to get it.
If your using another filter and it's new, you can take half the media out of your current filter and put it in the new one, and fill both with new (tank water rinsed) media, bacteria will colonise faster this way maturing your filters faster.
Seachem prime is the liquid version, Seachem safe is the stronger powder version, safe i find lasts much longer and works wonders.
Seachem also sell other products which I have used and would recommend, purigen to go in your filter (but I'd wait until your filters are fully mature) and also if your having issues with water clarity they sell a product called Clarity (genius right :p)
Anyways, any other questions I'm happy to help.

Adam

Hxoxoxoxoxo said:

I did a 50% water change yesterday and today. the remaining fish seem fine, and don't seem to be stressed.

I have an air pump, which separates into 2 airlines, both with air-stones attached, both air stones are on, and working fully. I am using the TetraTec Air pump 150 i think.

I will have a look for the Seachem prime/safe I wonder if it's sold at Pets at Home? otherwise ill order it online.

Also I am using my pervious filter as well as the new one in my aquarium. The previous one is a Superfish aqua flow 100, and have seen a huge decline in the cloudy ness since its use. Presumably the beneficial bacteria is truly giving the tank a helping hand. 

Thanks.
On another note, and I rarely do this aha but if you do need help in emergencies I'm happy to private message my phone number and you can text at any time as sometimes getting an answer on here really does depend upon members reading and replying :)
I'm more than happy to share what I know with those willing to learn and take the hobby seriously :)

paradiddle said:
It's not sold at pets at home I'm afraid, I buy mine from warehouse aquatics that's the cheapest place to get it.
If your using another filter and it's new, you can take half the media out of your current filter and put it in the new one, and fill both with new (tank water rinsed) media, bacteria will colonise faster this way maturing your filters faster.
Seachem prime is the liquid version, Seachem safe is the stronger powder version, safe i find lasts much longer and works wonders.
Seachem also sell other products which I have used and would recommend, purigen to go in your filter (but I'd wait until your filters are fully mature) and also if your having issues with water clarity they sell a product called Clarity (genius right
tongue2.gif
)

Adam

Thanks.
On another note, and I rarely do this aha but if you do need help in emergencies I'm happy to private message my phone number and you can text at any time as sometimes getting an answer on here really does depend upon members reading and replying
smile.png

I'm more than happy to share what I know with those willing to learn and take the hobby seriously
smile.png

Thank you for your replies. I'm gonna have a look at the other stores near me, Oasis Aquariums may stock the item, which would be great, as I've been meaning to go and get a few bits from there.

And no don't worry, I'm not off to buy any fish, not just yet anyway, I will wait a month or so, depending on when I get stable and safe results from my water tests. What I would like to ask is, when is the best time to test my water? I generally have been testing in the morning, 10 - 11am , then doing a water change, does the time, or any other factor matter on the test results? e.g. feeding?

And I may take you up on the offer... I hope I can stay with the hobby, I have been enjoying it so far, apart from the fish fatalities. 

Thank you again for your replies.

Time isnt really a factor in water testing, its just better to test whenever you can, or at least once/twice weekly.
Feeding will only affect the water parameters if your over feeding generally.
As soon as youve got a mature filter i promise the hobby is so much easier and you generally wont use your test kit (only your weekly check to make sure all is smooth!)
Also testing an hour after a water change will of course be different to an hour before (if you had readings of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) as fresh water will change the parameters.
But as far as i can tell if your testing and changing water daily your doing all you can for those fish! So well done :)
Hxoxoxoxoxo said:

Seachem also sell other products which I have used and would recommend, purigen to go in your filter (but I'd wait until your filters are fully mature) and also if your having issues with water clarity they sell a product called Clarity (genius right
tongue2.gif
)

Adam

Thanks.
On another note, and I rarely do this aha but if you do need help in emergencies I'm happy to private message my phone number and you can text at any time as sometimes getting an answer on here really does depend upon members reading and replying
smile.png

I'm more than happy to share what I know with those willing to learn and take the hobby seriously
smile.png

Thank you for your replies. I'm gonna have a look at the other stores near me, Oasis Aquariums may stock the item, which would be great, as I've been meaning to go and get a few bits from there.

And no don't worry, I'm not off to buy any fish, not just yet anyway, I will wait a month or so, depending on when I get stable and safe results from my water tests. What I would like to ask is, when is the best time to test my water? I generally have been testing in the morning, 10 - 11am , then doing a water change, does the time, or any other factor matter on the test results? e.g. feeding?

And I may take you up on the offer... I hope I can stay with the hobby, I have been enjoying it so far, apart from the fish fatalities. 

paradiddle said:

Time isnt really a factor in water testing, its just better to test whenever you can, or at least once/twice weekly.
Feeding will only affect the water parameters if your over feeding generally.
As soon as youve got a mature filter i promise the hobby is so much easier and you generally wont use your test kit (only your weekly check to make sure all is smooth!)
Also testing an hour after a water change will of course be different to an hour before (if you had readings of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) as fresh water will change the parameters.
But as far as i can tell if your testing and changing water daily your doing all you can for those fish! So well done
smile.png

tongue2.gif
)

Adam

Thanks.
smile.png

smile.png

Im sorry... Last question tonight...

What do you think of, if you've ever used them, the Tetra Safe and Clear tabs??? Only if I cannot find the Seachem in-store.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back