Most unexpected birth ever! Baby glowlight danios! NEED HELP!!!

LostBear

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Congratulations :fish:I have also kept my tetra fry in the tank and had 14 grow to adulthood but I also used a fry net with some success. The key is to have plenty of hiding spots. I used hornwort and anacharis to float in my tank for them to hide in. My tetra fry seemed to really like hiding in it. Here is a picture of two of them waiting for me to feed them. They are together near the top edge
Their little faces!

I would love this to happen in my tank - as long as there weren't too many.

My only previous experience of aquatic obstetrics has been swordtails and platies. I remember how thrilled I was when i first noticed a tiny bit of thread (with eyes) peeping out of the weed. And then the next day there were a couple more - and in a week the tank was awash with them and I was thinking "HELP!" :lol:

LostBear

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I don’t have a spare tank otherwise I would! I may leave the fish instead of putting in box in fear of stress. They’re so quick danios I’ve seen the guppies unable to catch them when moving towards them so hopefully should be fine
Glowlights are lovely - they're among my favourites.

LostBear

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I wish mine did, I would not have had to re-home them(feeder guppies) to my RES turtle tank, My fancy guppies tank has several new fry in it. They mostly have a nice orange color and I watched as small fry swim right past the adults without them going after the fry. There are not as many fry showing up so It may be awhile before I cull the herd. I am thinking of adding some molly, platy or swordtails to the tank and that may take care of any future over population.
Trust me - mollies, platies and swordtails will ADD to the overpopulation.

All livebearers, all very prolific (unless you stick to males, obviously)

OP
Willbacon23

Willbacon23

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Glowlights are lovely - they're among my favourites.
They’re so underrated- I’m shocked they gave birth as well- and from last count I’ve got 18 little fry, if even 12 make it to adulthood I’m going to have to give a couple away to friends etc! I was told by this forum to increase numbers by at least 4 so now I can do that easily!

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days