Molly or Platy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Natala

Reaction score
I've bought two new girls for my black Molly male as his mate died last week. He only seems interested in the white female. Is my black/white/iridescent blue girl in fact a Platy?
Pictures below...

Attachments

• 20190303_155113.jpg
    20190303_155113.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 20190303_155036.jpg
    20190303_155036.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 312
To me she looks like a platy, or possibly a swordtail.

So you now have just 1 male and 1 female molly? If so you need at least 2 more female mollies, preferably more. Livebearers should be kept with an absolute minimum of 3 females per male, with half a dozen females per male being better. The reason is that males will pester females constantly, so with one male and one female, the poor girl will be pestered all the time. With two females, each one gets time out while he pesters the other. With several females, they all get a lot of time out.

Swordtail and possibly with a mouth problem. Monitor the fish's mouth and if it goes white and puffy then you will need to treat it. Alternatively, take the fish back to the shop and get another molly.

Thank you for your fast responses!
I didn't even consider her being a sword tail! I havnt kept them before so I didn't know the females didn't have the sword tails until I googled it just!
Yes, now I just have one female Molly and one male Molly! He will not leave her alone! I'll go back to my LPS tomorrow and get another 1/2 female mollies. Thanks again!!

Swordtail and possibly with a mouth problem. Monitor the fish's mouth and if it goes white and puffy then you will need to treat it. Alternatively, take the fish back to the shop and get another molly.

I think it's her white colouring making it seem like she has some sort of disease in the pic, but I will keep an eye on her anyway

My guess would be that it's a platy. Super cool coloration! Here is an image of the difference between male and female molly too.. if it helps.
lg_39322_Golden_Sailfin_Molly.jpg

image source

My guess would be that it's a platy. Super cool coloration! Here is an image of the difference between male and female molly too.. if it helps.
lg_39322_Golden_Sailfin_Molly.jpg

image source

Thanks! She is very pretty, my favourite fish atm. She is defo a swordtail like Colin said. I've found an image on Google that's very similar to her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190303-164856.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303-164856.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 257

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back