FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishMamas

Reaction score
HELP! My most outgoing, happy and person friendly fish, a female platinum Balloon Mollie (who regularly lets me hand feed her) had a 360 degree personality and behavior switch since giving birth to 5 fry about 2 weeks ago.  She was the most outgoing fish in my tank and dominated even over my lone male while she was pregnant.   I missed seeing her labor. Found her in the morning hiding behind the filter and 5 baby fry swimming in the baby hide.  First thing I noticed is that the white rims of her eyes had turned pitch black as coal. It was spooky. Thought maybe labor wasn't over, but no more fry since.   OK, 2 weeks later her desire to hide and shyness becomes increasingly worse daily. She is petrified and literally shoving herself into places she doesn't fit (I have no idea how).  She won't even come out for her favorite treat of brine shrimp.  After 2 or 3 days of not eating at all I moved her into a hospital tank that I keep populated / seeded with three small Neon Tetra.  She even hid behind the foam filter from them.  So, I put the Tetras in the main tank to hopefully give her some peace..  Alone in the hospital tank, she comes out to just nibble at favorite foods, and only if it is totally dark, and then hides again.  When she becomes scared and tries to hide, her eye rims turn pitch black again, and when she is calmer they go back to white.  Any ideas folks?  It is the weirdest thing.  I cannot keep her in that little tank forever.  Any thoughts most welcome.  PS: All other adult fishies are just fine and the fry are thriving.  Thanks for your advice.

That is bazaar. My fish , the whole tank, recently went thru this. One day before I did a waterchange it didn't look like I had any fish in my tank. They wrre all hiding close ti the ground in the live plants.

After water change nothing changed. They were always hiding and would only come out once the food hit the gravel. A few days went by there was a minor change, they wrre out but when I moved they freaked and hid and crammed themselv es into gravel and decorations. Only to shyly come out to eat.

Here, about two weeks later they are acting normal again. They don't freak out and away from me they aren't hiding. They are back to normal and I really don't know what happened.

Sry I couldny give ant plausible answers but I hope maybe you can determine she's coming back around and being wuth other fish again soon may help her out to get her into normal pace.

Good luck and sry for my typos

she was probably in shock.stressed too. i think she should get over it soon enough

Thank you guppy2002nand lolobunzz! So, irony......  that hospital tank she was in ( 6 months new may add) started leaking at the base, so I had to tear it down and put her back in the main tank.  And whala.... all of a sudden she is back to normal! Plus, looking squared and fat again already... with a very dark gravid spot.  I think round 2 of fry from the same insemination is in my very near future.  I appreciate your kind replies very much.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back