Misconceptions About Fishkeeping?

Nobodys mentioned the big one.

" fish will only grow to the size of their tank"

Another misconception that needs to stop circulating is that goldfish are a low maintenance pet suitable for small children.
Just look at all the clown loaches and Bala Sharks that are being kept in aquariums. " Fish only grow to their tank size"

Just look at all the clown loaches and Bala Sharks that are being kept in aquariums. " Fish only grow to their tank size"
Clown Loaches get massive. I never realized how big they actually got, until I saw the 12in+ ones at my LFS. o_O

That betta can live in tiny, cramped containers with no filtration because “they live like that in the wild.” Yknow, because those captive, Over bred 10 variety fin and color pattern fish in cups are wild caught.

That betta can live in tiny, cramped containers with no filtration because “they live like that in the wild.” Yknow, because those captive, Over bred 10 variety fin and color pattern fish in cups are wild caught.
This has already been said like, 2 times lol.

Native US fish will be put in small tanks. Depending on the tank size and fish size, the growth will be stunted, but the organs will keep growing, causing the fish to explode.

A lot of people think that fish don't feel pain. If that were the case, I don't think they would react to getting bitten by other fish.

I haven't done a proper dig to see if someone's already made this post, but what are some common (or less common) misconceptions about fishkeeping that you've been made aware of? This is piggy-backing off of my thread about replacing gravel with sand, where @AbbeysDad brought up a few misconceptions about substrates (particularly sand), and I wanted to make this thread to act as a guide through the misconceptions we've all heard throughout our time keeping fish.

For once, I don't think I have any of my own to share, but I'd love to hear what everyone else has been told.

Please provide the truths to these misconceptions if you can!
That keeping fish is easy and requires no work or commitment

Most reactions

Back