Misconceptions About Fishkeeping?

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I haven't done a proper dig to see if someone's already made this post, but what are some common (or less common) misconceptions about fishkeeping that you've been made aware of? This is piggy-backing off of my thread about replacing gravel with sand, where @AbbeysDad brought up a few misconceptions about substrates (particularly sand), and I wanted to make this thread to act as a guide through the misconceptions we've all heard throughout our time keeping fish.

For once, I don't think I have any of my own to share, but I'd love to hear what everyone else has been told.

Please provide the truths to these misconceptions if you can!

That soft water fish can be kept with hard water fish, because they are doing “fine”.

I also hate the term, “fine”. Just because your fish are doing “fine”, doesn’t mean they are happy/comfortable.

—-

Some may disagree, but I personally believe Bettas shouldn’t be kept in community tanks.

—-

Another one is that you can just setup a tank and wait 4 weeks and then you’re good to go. (Usually LFS workers will tell you that)

Another one is that you can just setup a tank and wait 4 weeks and then you’re good to go. (Usually LFS workers will tell you that)
Waiting four weeks to just start throwing all the fish in at once: ❌
Waiting four weeks to start working on your tank because executive dysfunction told you that there's no point: ✅
(I'm joking, of course. Executive dysfunction is a horrible thing to deal with... Especially when you were so excited about starting a new project.)

I concur. It’s super hard for newbie fish keepers to wait weeks and weeks to add fish. Usually they don’t understand the nitrogen cycle and how important it is.

I concur. It’s super hard for newbie fish keepers to wait weeks and weeks to add fish. Usually they don’t understand the nitrogen cycle and how important it is.
I'd say "can you blame them" but you can, really. But... Can you blame them? ? New fish are exciting, and practicing self-restraint is hard! Everyone learns their lesson sooner or later, though.

I haven't done a proper dig to see if someone's already made this post, but what are some common (or less common) misconceptions about fishkeeping that you've been made aware of? This is piggy-backing off of my thread about replacing gravel with sand, where @AbbeysDad brought up a few misconceptions about substrates (particularly sand), and I wanted to make this thread to act as a guide through the misconceptions we've all heard throughout our time keeping fish.

For once, I don't think I have any of my own to share, but I'd love to hear what everyone else has been told.

Please provide the truths to these misconceptions if you can!
dont keep NEON TETRAS and LIVEBEARERS in the same tank!???! i have to bring this up too many times :( hate to hear that people are giving wrong info.
it is hard and not healthy for either one

dont keep NEON TETRAS and LIVEBEARERS in the same tank!???! i have to bring this up too many times :( hate to hear that people are giving wrong info.
it is hard and not healthy for either one
My first tank had guppies and neon tetras ? That's why I'm making my guppy tank... I'll be rehoming the extra guppies when I can. Such a pain.

dont worry, i thought about that too, learned the easy way at least...
Not to mention I've currently got 5 types of tetra! Rehoming 3 out of 5 (getting rid of my neons, glowlights and congo tetras), and giving the black neons to my grandparents if they want them. And then I'll be left with rummy noses.

Not to mention I've currently got 5 types of tetra! Rehoming 3 out of 5 (getting rid of my neons, glowlights and congo tetras), and giving the black neons to my grandparents if they want them. And then I'll be left with rummy noses.
*sad "i can only have 1 tank" noises*

*sad "i can only have 1 tank" noises*
Here's a couple of loop holes:
1. Main tank.
2. Your first tank or a "spare" that you'll "probably never use" just in case of emergencies.
3. Quarantine tank.
And that's how on a one-tank-limit, I wound up with three tanks.

Most reactions

Back