Mass Exodus

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have about 300 Golden apple snails spread evenly amoungst the 20 odd tanks I've set up at the moment, and all of a sudden, they've all decided to explore the outside world tonight!!.....

We've had some (belated) August winds blowing for the past coupla days, and it suddenly stopped tonight.... Now all of a sudden, all my Apples are climbing out of their tanks and it is raining apples in the garage.... Some of these tanks are quite high, and they (fatally) crush their shells as they fall to the ground....

Must have something to do with the outside Barometric pressures rising that makes them "instinctively" move over the edge of the tanks.... Never had this before.....

I've now put "bubble plastic" around the outside of all tanks to break the fall, but how long will it last??

They could be looking for somewhere to lay eggs. In which case put a coverglass on the tanks and the snails will lay eggs on the underside of the cover. Then they will go back into the water.
If the water has gone bad they will sometimes climb out and look for a new home. However, this is unlikely to happen to a number of tanks at the same time.

Most reactions

Back