Marine Section

Think we could do with some Identification areas:

Invert Index
Fish Index
Anemone Index

Etc..............

I'm sure amoungst us all we have most of the photos we would need

Seffie x

ps blooming heck, we already have one :look: all this time and I had never noticed :blush: So, if I hadn't noticed them that means newbies certainly wouldn't find them! Can we move them to the Marine Section and tidy them up as well - just have the one post and then lock it?

Is there anyway this forum could support an index type list, rather than seperate posts. So, say for example:

Photo - then the write up
Photo - write up
and so on?

Seffie...as you know, we have an index area:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/36-fish-species-index/

We could add a link to it..if you wanted....in our resource area. Doubt they would split this off into our section. -_- SH

hi
probily not much of an idea but ill put it anyway. I always have trouble with getting the pictures the right size and cant upload them on this site maybe some software that uploads most picture sizes and convert to the size for this fourm might make things a bit better

Get yourself a free photobucket account - it will do it all for you :good:

Seffi ex
i got an account and i got a few picture on there that i want to use to start my journal but only know how to put the link in not how to put the picture on so that it is displayed

Just copy and paste the IMG code into your post and you will see your photo as soon as you hit the 'add reply' button :good:

Seffie x

but PS your comment is a good one, not sure if we have a section telling people how to post their photos - will have to go take a look

In the members photo forum, pinned section:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/22-members-aquarium-and-fish-pictures/

SH

i did his for photos (as you probably know) and suggest it to most

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/295485-step-by-step-begginers-guide-to-uploading-photos-on-tff/page__p__2441194__fromsearch__1&#entry2441194

back to the topic the difference i find is tropical large group that give knoledge and such

and marine more of a tight knit group that give device aswell as have jokes and a laugh

Think we could do with some Identification areas:

Invert Index
Fish Index
Anemone Index

Etc..............

I'm sure amoungst us all we have most of the photos we would need

Seffie x

ps blooming heck, we already have one :look: all this time and I had never noticed :blush: So, if I hadn't noticed them that means newbies certainly wouldn't find them! Can we move them to the Marine Section and tidy them up as well - just have the one post and then lock it?

Is there anyway this forum could support an index type list, rather than seperate posts. So, say for example:

Photo - then the write up
Photo - write up
and so on?

Seffie - just a thought on this, which may be too late, or maybe it's what you were already meaning, but I'll toss it out anyway. There is a heap of stuff that could be done index-wise with inverts like snails (which frankly suffer from just as bad if not worse misinformation and bad IDs circulating in the hobby as goes on for hermits). There are good shell/invert/etc. databases and such out there, but they are an absolute bear to wade through if you don't already know the family or genus of the thing you're looking for. Single threads with lists of species to quickly scroll over would be much eaiser for fnding IDs and general info, and the index section is really underfilled in the marine invert department. It might be worth keeping a running thread or two outside the index just to get some clear photos of beasts volunteered and identified so that the photos could later be compiled and cleaned up into something more suitable for the TFF index.

That would be great Donya - can't think of anyone better qualified to do it than you :good:

Seffie x

So...why don't you give it a try Donya? SH

Yes sir :good:

I will start up one for snails first to see if people will contribute pics. Crustaceans should probably have their own just to keep a bit of structure, but I wasn't sure if it warrented any further division initially?

As a FW keeper interested in marine I'm spending a little time here trying to learn what I can but most of my time is spent elsewhere.

The basic guide to setting up a new marine tank, although very well written focuses largely on reef systems whereasi would be interested in fish only (prob with some live rock mut most of that would be in sump) and I'm not sure what would be different, anyone fancy writing another thread on that? Or even a few notes added into the current one?

Cycling is another thing. It is constantly said that marine systems are less tolerant of water params being out and yet I don't know if cycling is the same as FW or if there are dif techniques.

It is mentioned in a thread here that the stocking rules used on FW will have you severely overstocked in marine but I have read nothing indicating what will give you good stocking... I guess dif fish will change things but a general rule to follow would help beginners like me start to grasp concepts, even if you then say that as a general rule it can be broken by having fish which produce less waste (or whatever)

equipment - this is the main thing which confuses me to start with. But I shall add some suggestions in my sump thread relating to the understanding dumps article. (along the lines of linking bits to other articles)

it's not just having the info, Its making it easy to find. And if you have pinned articles or everything in the resource centre then there would be no need to ask any questions so there would be few new posts meaning a less active forum, which makes things go downhill. I guess the trick is give newbies all the basics and leave the rest to discussion. A tricky balancing act.

Thanks for the feedback, it is exactly what we are looking for - cheers :good:

As you can see Sh has set the wheels in motion for some change and progression by asking members for their views, after all, a forum is only as good as it's members and we have some great members :D

Seffie x

As a FW keeper interested in marine I'm spending a little time here trying to learn what I can but most of my time is spent elsewhere.

That changes. I did too and came back. You'll see why later on down the line. SH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back