Marine Section

Nemo, I will start at the top of page 1 and work down tomorrow morning.

Nano <136 litres
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/314253-harrys-juwel-rio-125-marine-tank/

Medium 137 litres – 399 litres

Large 400 >

I have used litres as they are the same measurement in both US and UK

Seffie x

Sounds good seffie :good: I have work tomorrow, so let me know how far you get or if you would like to separate somehow and I will get the rest in.

A very quick reply from me as I'm on my third glass of wine & there will likely be many spelling mistakes! lol

I'm a marine newbie & one thing I love & which gives me endless inspiration is photos, the more the better, so from the point of view of encouraging newbies, interest & points of conversation, I would like to see a marine gallery section.

I am a little shy of posting pictures of my full tank at the moment as its only a month old, has a bit of an algae issue & the few small corals I have really need to grow a bit before it looks anywhere near decent, but a thread of photo's, maybe the favorite pic from your tank that day, week or month would be lovely, people could post a pic of their favorite coral or fish without feeling they need to have a mature, stunning reef yet, or full tank shot as we all know, they take a very long time to come together.

maybe the favorite pic from your tank that day, week or month would be lovely, people could post a pic of their favorite coral or fish without feeling they need to have a mature, stunning reef yet, or full tank shot as we all know, they take a very long time to come together.

thats a good idea, I like it :good:

Seffie x

We have marine journals and also have an aquarium photo section on the forum. I can start a thread and put a link to it, but, not sure a separate section will be coming. SH

Hello, hope you don't mind some input, as one who drifted off this site when I started up my Nano (although I was initially inspired to go to the salty side by your brilliant journal Seffie-and I'm slowly catching up on your latest one too!)
I have to admit that, at the time as a newbie, some of the information I was looking for was easier to find on other forums and I suppose like everything else, you tend to get comfortable in a particular forum to the exclusion of all others.
As the marine side of TFF was my original 'lurking' area, I recently decided to revisit and start posting again.
When I was starting up, photos of different setups was something I was searching for, both for inspiration and practicality.
Once the live rock was in I needed photo id's of all the hitchhikers I'd aquired and a list of the obvious baddies-Aitipsia, and goodies copopods etc
Also, as I was aware that water quality was soo important, I spent a lot of time trawling through water Chemistry bumf, as the transition from freshwater to marine requires knowledge of a huge additional range of parameters, test kits and possibly additives, its more years since I want to remember since I had done any Chemistry and so this info was something I did not find (immediately) accessable on this site, hence the drifting away.
I think the division of tank sizes into sections is a great idea and I would personally appreciate some discussion on Pico's as I'm fascinated by them!
Dividing the sections will allow for people to access/ask specific info/questions based on their setups, although most will browse all (I'll be there dreaming of my 'giant' tank! which remains in the blue yonder for now).
Whilst I feel a bit of a usurper coming on here and posting like mad over the past few days (off sick!) I do hope you old salts don't mind my observations.
Cheers
Seren

That's all OK Seren. I've used some other forums in the past to increase my knowledge base and experience. Like you, I came back here by personal choice. That's how we get better. Many of your questions ARE answered here..if you search it out. Also, much in the marine resource area. As you can see, we have dedicated members (many on this thread), who are volunteering to update and upgrade outmoded links and also organize the marine journals.

Although on the surface, it appears that we mods have little function, there are thousands of members on this forum and each needs a representative, similar to our government, to get things done. Case in point: we lost many of our members when our section lost SkiFletch. One of our members showed me a link where we lost quite a few people that, IMO, might have been averted if there was a mod around.

Our section is small, granted that. Not sure if we will EVER become a Reef Central, etc, but, we are not trying to be. I like us they way we are but we DEFINITELY need to become "better, stronger, faster". SH

Seren it sometimes takes a fresh pair of eyes to sweep over the forum :good: and point out where improvments can be made

I agree completely that we need a better Identification index and better info on water chemistry in a handy, easy to find place in the marine section.

And thank you very much for your kind words about my journels - :blush: i really should update the five footer one!

I hope you along with all the members will join with us to move the salty side to greater heights :kana:

Seffie x

and pssst, is't it good having SH back :D

:good: SH, I don't underestimate the work you mods do, I'm a mod on an equine forum (My cheap hobby!! :rofl: ) and I'm one of three on my bit, so how you manage on your own I don't know!
And yes, having done a bit more reading I did find a lot of info on coral/fish identification which is brilliant, BUT, for people like me at least, I have the marine forum on favourites and never log off so I come into this section of the board and not through the main forum index-thus totally miss all that great info there :wub:.
I had noticed that quite a few familiar names from my lurking days on the marine side had gone, and didn't realise that you had gone and come back! :cool:
You are soo right when you say you have some fantastic loyal reefers here and to be honest that's why I decided to come back-you didn't know me but I watched you lot!
So :flowers: to you all and I hope that I can make a small contribution to this forum.

Seren

I reckon that....like college...you either like BIO 101 with thousands of students and one prof at Mega University, or, BIO 102 at SmallTown University with 20 students and one prof. It's just personal choice.

We can do anything we want here to a large extent. My only 'pet peeve' is to avoid fluff and clutter. No one likes to scroll for a minute to get to the daily posts, so, staying organized is key. Subforums aren't granted that easily, so, getting an entire Classified forum was a huge thing (well, perhaps not in the scheme of life but for here). It is even less likely to get a subforum if we have a separate dedicated section elsewhere and that subforum would be redundant (eg, marine emergencies or marine photos). I can work things with pinned links where needed.

I'm pretty laid back. Things that I find bothersome here and on the forum:
  • members using foul language or trying to get around the swear filter leaving an obvious obscene word there
  • members that disrespect others. I don't mind if some threads heat up or verbal jousting but when the conversation begins to hit below the belt.........
  • huge signature pics that exceed the rules of the forum. I hate scrolling thru 500 megapixels 10 times on a page
I nominated SkiFletch for mod because he was enthusiastic, bright, level headed and was just an overall fine person. I am trying to get him to come back but I think he is gone. Got married maybe???

BTW...the classified section now has been 'fixed'. It now has a livestock section. Although I hate clutter, I will temporarily pin this as suggestion box. As most know, we have a separate 'mod section'. I will update the section within what's allowed to keep everyone alert to stuff.

SH

No. I wonder if he got married. I recall him being 'bitten'...or..is the right word 'smitten'. We've tried to contact him. No go. SH

i think i remember him being engaged, although he also went through a quiet spell with some family troubles aswel at one point, hope all is well

SH, Can we pin the piece you wrote about RO adaptors, maybe in the Marine Resource section? And on that subject, we have loads of good info floating about in the forum, which could do with being more easily available to newbies and old salts alike.

The resource Centre needs a bit of a shake up :hey:

To keep clutter down, maybe we should have a Resource Centre in each section, so for example in the fish section Resource centre we might have a fish index, Stocking options etc - we already have the basis of one from the The Fish Of the Week, it would keep every thing in one place in each section. So your piece would be pinned in the Hardware Resource Centre.

What do you guys think - would need you all to help out :fun:

Seffie x

The Resource Center is just for that..resources. I have no objection to pinning topics there that are helpful. This thread can be used for suggesting pins as well.

As for a resource center in each section...well....hmmmmm.....I'll scratch my head on it. Seems like keeping one place centralized is easier. I think it's easier to direct someone to the marine RC..instead of the hardward RC vs the Coral RC vs Fish RC. We can always subdivide the section within. JMO.

BTW, I am chipping away at some of your suggestions seffie. SH

Most reactions

trending

Back