Marine fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adeyc

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Seeing as how it looks like there might be a few converts to marine/reef keeping, I though'd I'd ask,
What do you guy's feed your fish?
I know most eat live fish, and as there are a few folks out there that disagree with the whole feeder fish thing, What are the alternatives that can be used?
It's best to be prepared and know the basics. There is no point setting up a tank adding the fish only to find you can't bring yourself to feed your fish whether through disgust or moral issues.

More over the majority of marine fish will eat flaked food and Brine shrimp. Over feeding is generally a problem – that’s why many people use live brine when they can.

I use quality flake, and frozen brine couple times a week.
Then I have three Anemones that I hand feed frozen fresh shrimp I get at the local deli. My wife scares me when she feeds them brine. The water gets clouded with them. But so far my two brittle stars seen to be keeping up with the detritus.

You can rinse the brine to get all the extra phosphates out so the water doesn’t cloud up.

I feedthem flake and frozen brine.

Thought id tell you how i feed the frozen to prevent over feeding.

put a cube of frozen in a glass with a drop of ro water and leave it to defrost. i end up with a watery mix of brine i then use a syringe from a test kit and fill it with some of the mixture. Then i slowly add it to the tank and my fish eat it after a few minutes i stop feeding and i have no shrimp lying around the tank. I generally have a fair bit left as i only have a pair of clowns so the rest gets fed to my malawis in the same way

Yes, you both have described the sensible way to feed brine shrimp. If there is one sin with fish my wife commits, it's overfeeding. She can't stand the thought of the little things going hungry.

Re Overfeeding A good skimmer and well populated DSB help in this department although if you are talking fish only rather than reef then a lot depends on the species you keep as many sand sifting gobies etc will deplte the DSB thus reducing its effectiveness as a form of nutriant export.

Swayze, I have to get a Goby now. My DSB, (it is a reef), Is horribly overpopulated since the demise of my fish,(see cuke thread), and I have amphipods crawling all over the rocks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back