Male or female electric yellows??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@Fishguy13 What size is that tank - what else is being kept in it? I took a look at your profile and if all of those fish are with the yellow labs, you may wake up one day to a lot of dead fish.

The fish on my profile are in a different tank.... The one with the electric yellows is 182 litres(48 gallons) it is two bristlenose two electric yellows and one peacock cichlid I am still going to get more.

Sorry got another question when will I be able to sex them about what age.

I don't know the exact age/length, but I know that yours are close. Regardless of what gender they two you have are, you really need to just add another 6 or more - they'll sort themselves out. The more you get, the better your chances are of reducing/removing bullying.

Ok thanks... I don't know if I will add six more as I want to get 2 other species then I only have about 4inches left

Ok thanks... I don't know if I will add six more as I want to get 2 other species then I only have about 4inches left

If you want to do right by those labs, I would get another 6. What algorithm are you using that gives you 4 inches left? Your tank is on the small side for a good mix of African Cichlids; which is why it's important that you stock it with similarly compatible fish. Labs are some of the most peaceful Mbuna and they do well in groups. If you had a much larger tank, you'd probably be able to get away with a greater variety but I fear you will experience bullying issues with so few in such a small space.

I converted 182 litres to gallons which equals 48 gallons then found out the max size of the fish i want to keep in there and I have heard that it is an inch per gallon.. once my tank is fully stocked with what I want I will have about 4inches of space left.

You might want someone with more current experience for Mbuna, but from what I've seen/experienced, Mbuna do not really follow the 1 inch per gallon rule (which is honestly a terrible rule that does not take different species into account).

The advice that I've been given my others and have also seen in real tanks is 2 inches per gallon. Mbuna are very aggressive (again, Labs are not typically) and the more fish you add the better your chances of having a stable, happy environment. If you do not have it already, you need a lot of rock work, frequent water changes and a quality filter with great water flow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back