Male or female electric yellows??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishguy13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, I am really confused I don't know if my electric yellows are females or males. Because they both have egg spots but no black on anal fin the paler one has more black on dorsal fin then the other one. So I am not sure if I have to males or if females get egg spots. Any help will be appreciated thanks. :) :dunno:

Sorry I took so long to reply here is a photo of one I will get a pic of the other one later... what do you reckon it is??

Attachments

• 20200407_193330.jpg
    20200407_193330.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
I would say too young to tell. Dominant males will have darker fins and what I call to be a "mustache" by their gills - it's sort of an ashy color.

I do not typically follow the "egg spot" rule - I can't tell you have many female fish I have seen with egg spots. I can't verify why this is the case (breeding etc.) but I do not consider it a definitive when sexing African Cichlids.

Here is some photos of the other one

Attachments

• 20200421_174655.jpg
    20200421_174655.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200421_174717.jpg
    20200421_174717.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • 20200421_174241.jpg
    20200421_174241.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 92
I w would of had them for a little over a month probably but do not know how old they were when I bought them.

Assuming you bought them from a local fish store, they would only be quite young when you got them. If this is correct, then I reiterate they might be too young to definitively sex them.

@Fishguy13 These are African Cichlids - they are aggressive; simply put. There are many reasons that chasing/bullying will happen.

#1. They are both males and the dominant one (more yellow) is bullying the subdominant.

#2. Inadequate stocking. These types of fish need large groups to be comfortable and successful. Many websites recommend at least 1 male to 2 females. It is worth noting that this does not mean that 1 m to 2 f in a tank will be fine - you need many more. Practical Fishkeeping (https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co...inest-the-yellow-lab-labidochromis-caeruleus/) recommends at least 20 to prevent bullying, or less than 20 but in a mixed Mbuna tank.

#3. They're just African Cichlids and even if they were both female, they both have a territory. Though I think them both being female is unlikely given from the pictures.

Honestly, we need some more data to truly help you.

1. What are your water parameters?

2. What size is the tank? Tankmates?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back