Male or Female Dwarf Gouramis?

View attachment 146980Taken from The Spruce Pets website.

So, apart from the reply from @Colin_T that I would hate to disagree with, using the pictures above I think that #1 might be female..?
The Spruce Pets website is misleading.

You can use fin shape to sex some gouramis, males generally have longer more pointed dorsal and anal fins. females have shorter more rounded fins. Most cichlids and rainbowfish can be sexed in the same way.

Most gourami species have the same colours in males and females. However, Colisa lalius (the common dwarf gourami shown in the picture) has distinct colour differences between males and females. Males are coloured (blue & red striped or red all over, depending on colour form) and females are silver all over. The only exception to this is the cobalt blue dwarf gourami, a man made colour mutation of Colisa lalius, where females are also blue but not as blue as the males.

The following link has a picture of the female dwarf gourami (Colisa lalius) at the top and about half way down the page.

Last edited:
View attachment 146980Taken from The Spruce Pets website.

So, apart from the reply from @Colin_T that I would hate to disagree with, using the pictures above I think that #1 might be female..?
This drawing is as incorrect as it can be.
There are no DG females showing this color and pattern.

Sorry to say but the person who made this pic doesn't know anything about DG's and doing so made the confusion complete.

Colin is 100% correct and the fish in the pic is 100000% a male. There is not any doubt about it.

Yeah looks like males. The coloring is so contrasting and dense.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back