New Fish...to me

FattyFish

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Joined
Jul 14, 2026
Messages
145
Reaction score
241
Points
43
Location
Durham UK
I have just picked up 6 Dwarf Neon Rainbows. Not fully sure on all the sexes, although pretty sure the two biggest ones, at around 2 inches, are Male and female. The others are smaller, so waiting for them to colour up more. Am I thinking these may be females, around 1 inch long?
 
Melanotaenia praecox males have red fin and more blue on the body, females have yellow fins.
 
Hahaha, definitely one male and possibly 5 females.
IMG_1660.webp

One of the new fish!
 
Just as high a risk with Canadian ones - sorry @FattyFish . But if they are clean and healthy, they are great fish to keep. Watch the lightly coloured fins on smaller ones. Sometimes, they can deepen in colouration as the fish matures. But since there's no love lost between male praecox, you would have a good ratio as is.
 
OMG, gutted to hear about TB in these fish. Mine all look pretty healthy at the moment and are all feeding well. I will definitely keep an eye on them to see if I notice anything out of the ordinary. I was going to try and get another couple of males today, but after this scare and @GaryE saying it's a good ratio, I think I'll keep it as it is for now.
 
It can be a scare, but it's just there. Friends have gotten healthy, long lived ones, and others have seen the telltale lesions and wasting appear. If it does, you cull. If it doesn't, you enjoy.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top