Male Mollies Keep Dying!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jessie973

Reaction score
hello,
I have a 40 litre tank currently containing 4 black widow tetras, a flying fox/ Siamese algae eater, two female mollies. I change the water once a week.

Approximately 4-6 months ago I got a male mollie (along with one female mollie) until one day about 2 months later, he started looking weak and I found him lying on the gravel with his tummy up, dead. All the other fish were absolutely fine. So I got another male mollie (along with yet another female mollie) and all was going well until I come in and see him at the bottom of the tank with his belly up like the other one about two or so months later. Can someone please tell me why this is happening? I don't want to get another male Mollie and he dies aswell. Any questions just let me know.

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a rush, but I believe your tank is overstocked. :/

Mollies need to be in a bigger tank. They need more length, more swimming room. If they were kept in brackish water at your store then you might want to provide the same for them at home.

Do you have a heater on the tank, and a filter? And how much water do you change per week? 

Another thought: Are you sure what you have is a Siamese Algae Eater? Have a look at the profile of a Chinese Algae Eater. Especially if you've seen unexplained marks and injuries on your other fish. 

Thankyou,

I do have a heater which is at the temperature of 25°C. I also have a filter and I change approximately 25% or half a bucket of water each week.

I am pretty certain I have a Siamese algae eater, however I have noticed a couple of sort of tears in the fin on only one of the black widow tetras, I'm not sure if he was just born like that though.

I have decided not to get any more fish.

Once again, thankyou for all of your conclusions. It has helped me very much :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back