Malawi or tanganyika, maybe both?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrV

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Any hobbiests whose has malawi or tanganyika tank?

Im interested to set up malawi tank when I get new tank. I probably buy it in next month. But Im not familiar with malawis and maybe 200 liters tank is too small for them, because many of these fishes are quite territorials.

Do you have and what kind of fishes?

I only know chemistry of malawi and tanganyika lakes :lol:

mrV,

This is roughly a 50 gallon (US) tank correct?? Will it be 36x18 if not what are it's dimensions??

A 36x18x18 tank can hosue many different Malawians or Tanganyikans.

Need to know the base dimensions before suggesting species tho!!

CM

200 liters = 52,8 us gal / 44 uk gal.

It's 100*40*50 (length*wide*high, cm) = 39,4 inches * 15,7 inches * 19,7 inches.

I wouldnt keep them both together. Its just a personal choice. I think tangs should stick with tangs and malawi with malawi. I wont even have haps in my tank.

But they can be kept together if your into that sort of thing :)

I wouldnt keep both toghethor. I keep malawi's and because of the nature of mbuna you can keep large amount of fish togethor if your filtration can handle it. I find them a lot less terratorial than tanginikans which i have also kept

I wouldnt keep them both together. Its just a personal choice.

Oh no.. I didn't mean to put them in the same tank. And it's not only personal choice, water chemistry of those lakes are quite different. Water of tanganyika is e.g. real basic when comparing it with malawi lake:

water values of Tanganyika: http://www.drak.de/Produkte/Duradr_T.html
water values of Malawi: http://www.drak.de/Produkte/Duradr_M.html

I think Malawi is easier because you don't have to change water values so much (e.g. adding different salts to get right conductivity) So, probably I put some malawis into the tank... Or just livebreeders, don't be sure yet.

Malawis are generally very agressive, tanganyikas are a little less agressive. Do not mix them together! The malwis will kill and destroy the tanganyikans. I am trying the crowding thing with my malawis, lots of hiding places but still much agression, splashing, missing tail fins, etc... Best bet with Malawis is to only get one male, though it is hard to find the males when they are young . I am much happier with my lamprologous brichardi from tanganyika!
Good luck!

Yeah these guys love to splash water :) Nowadays i open the lid, chuck the pellets and close it as quick as i can otherwise i'll end up with a mouth full of water.

Yesterday i saw my albino socolofi and his bottom lip was hanging off from a tiny bit of skin :eek: these are very vicious buggers

lol i know what you mean i've been splashed in the face several times.lol :p

-"letters"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back