Magnetic Algae Scrapers

I have an old magnetic scraper that has blades on it, instead of the scrubby pads the mag-floats use. I've not had issues with it.
 
I have used mag-float types and not been too impressed. They do clean off the easier stuff but leave behind the harder deposits. My son bought me one with a super strong magnet for Xmas last year and it works great on the toughest of algae deposits. The magnet on it is so strong that it is hard to separate the parts to put it into place on the glass. You need to be careful with that one because if you get clumsy with it you could probably break the glass as it snaps into place.
 
I have one and use it. As long at the algae you are dealing with is the annoying brown stuff it comes out no problem. But if you have little specks of green you have to scrub that. But for a quick glass cleaning they are great.
 
I use my Mag-Float everytime I clean my tank, and it's great. As others have said though, make sure you get teh correct one for the thickness of your glass. They come with different magnet strengths for different glass thicknesses, (thicker glass requires a strong magnet to hold the 2 pieces tight enough together to scrub properly).
I have one for my 40L tank, and one for my 300L. If I used the 40L one on the 300L it would keep falling apart, and if I used the 300L one on the 40L tank I'd have trouble taking it back off without ripping the side off the tank - lol :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top