Lucys Tank Journal

puppyjess123

Doing first planted tank :)
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Eastbourne, East-sussex, UK
Hey all,

As you know I've been on about this 5 foot tank I am getting :) Today we picked it up from my dads friend, and also got some "make your own plant substrate including John Innes compost # 2, Vermiculite and fine gravel" Also picked up some terracota pots.

Its got an oak cabinet, no hood and is bow tank.....let me tell you its huge :D ! No pics of the tank as my dad can't lift it out of the van by himeself as it's too heavy :hyper: I had no idea but it came with everything I need + the tank for £150. It comes with 6 air pumps, LOADS of medicines and algae control, 1 fluval external filter, a water steriliser? some kind of tube and yellow hopsepiping, some weird thing lol, lighting, a 300w heater and a 150w heater, thermoter, glass cleaner, pump to for water changes, got a pond filter thrown in and loads of water conditioners, algae controls etc. Who thinks he wont over the top??!!

the filter, I will also have a fluval 4 + internal running.
newtank002.jpg

newtank001.jpg


Still will be my future stocking can you tell me whether it is overstocked or udnerstocked?

10 neon tetras
10 zebra danios
2 opaline gourami
2 pearl gourami
5 bristlenoses
6 clown loaches
3 bala sharks
10 cories ( 4 albino, 4 bronze, 2 peppered)
1 common pleco and one albino
How would blue rams be?
5 swordtails
10 platies
5 guppies
2 honey gourami
If understocked (probably not) what else would you recommend other than upping shoals
 
tip...

USE THE UV.

The white tube + yellow hose affair looks like a DIY sand / gravel vac.

Do NOT use the '6 air pumps' on a planted tank - the use of air pumps is UTTERLY useless anyway, and the surface agitation they will cause drives off CO2 in the water... which you need for a planted tank.

LOADS of medicines - What are they & what are the end dates if shown?

algae control - BIN IT. Do NOT use algicides.

Andy
 
I would use the UV also

Also having an air pump will help maintain a low steady co2 level if you are not injecting co2

Also the 305 might not be powerful enough for a 5ft? the 3o4 is for is for a 300l tank but you can just add a second filter
 
Okay well I don't really know how to use these UVS whatever they are, could someone explain and whats the benfits of using one? Could I have one airpump going, i LOVE the bubbles :)

Bigpig I will have that and an internal fluval 4+.

Medicines, don't know the dates but their is whitespot, anti baterial, methane blue, can't remember the rest :D

Okay to the algae things.

Also I know have pics of the tank! It came with a 3D background and the raised bit in the middle I think is where you attach the steriliser???

rednose007.jpg

rednose009.jpg

rednose011.jpg

rednose012.jpg

rednose014.jpg


Had to clean it for an 1 hour or so lol.

rednose016.jpg

rednose015.jpg

Unidentified fish ^

Lucy
 
air pumps will not drive off CO2 if its not injected, it will actually cause surface agitation so levels will be kept at around 6ppm and it wont be driven off
is that tank drilled along the bottom?
 
Step #1 then. Remove that bl00dy awful black 3D background stuff. :sick:

UV just goes in-line with filter outlet / inlet (can't remember which one).

Good meds to have to hand there. UV will help health of tank inhabitiants, kill algae spores (I think), keeps water crystal clear. The UV you have there you could quite happily flog for £40 on flea-bay, so bargain find really.

Andy
 
Step #1 then. Remove that bl00dy awful black 3D background stuff. :sick:

UV just goes in-line with filter outlet / inlet (can't remember which one).

Good meds to have to hand there. UV will help health of tank inhabitiants, kill algae spores (I think), keeps water crystal clear. The UV you have there you could quite happily flog for £40 on flea-bay, so bargain find really.

Andy
I like the background :shout:
Good good, I will keep the UV, would I still use safe tap water stuff and would I need to do water changes weekly still?


is the tank drilled in the bottom?
Yes I the UV attaches to these tubes in the "sticky out part" as the water spills over the slits I think goes in gets sterilised and comes back up a tube and gets sprinkled out!
 
Step #1 then. Remove that bl00dy awful black 3D background stuff. :sick:

UV just goes in-line with filter outlet / inlet (can't remember which one).

Good meds to have to hand there. UV will help health of tank inhabitiants, kill algae spores (I think), keeps water crystal clear. The UV you have there you could quite happily flog for £40 on flea-bay, so bargain find really.

Andy
I like the background :shout:
Good good, I will keep the UV, would I still use safe tap water stuff and would I need to do water changes weekly still?


is the tank drilled in the bottom?
Yes I the UV attaches to these tubes in the "sticky out part" as the water spills over the slits I think goes in gets sterilised and comes back up a tube and gets sprinkled out!
good, yes weekly 25% water changes for 6 months, and then you could stretch to one 25% every 2 weeks
 
you dont need an air pump, i run a successful planted tank woithout co2 injection or air pumps. i never need air pumps waste of money, including leccy. if you do w/c's enough you dont need them. i have my spraybars set to cause surface ajitation and the tank is fine.

you will need a better filter, i would advise a second so you can run a redundant system. you wont need the pond filter stuff either. most of the stuff he chucked in is useless to you.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top