Seb2502

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 20 gallon aquarium is sitting at
gH: 25ppm
kH: 200ppm
pH: 8
My water is soft but very alkaline.
I have a few pieces of driftwood in the tank but with the kH so high, nothing is changing. Is there any way I could lower the kH and in turn also lower the pH safely without using any chemicals.
Im planning on putting Cardinal tetras in the tank so Im aiming for a pH around 6-6.5 and a kH of anything that will get me to my goal pH.
Thanks!

I have the exact same water... I never lowered mind cause its too expensive for me and I dont have space for a reverse osmosis system and extra water

If you see a fish that naturally lives in 7.5 or 7.8 then you should be fine. A stable PH is better than one that fluctuates. The GH is more important though. I wouldnt keep discus (they are pretty sensitive) in this water though or something like chili rasboras as they require a VERY low PH.

Just drip acclimate if you get them from a place that keeps them at a different PH. If they instantly go into a diffrrent PH it may be dangerous and cause a shock.

I just put a peat pot (for seed starting) in the tank overnight and test pH in the morning. It does tea stain the water a little
Yeah that does work but not with the water both of us have. Because of the high KH, no amount of peat moss will change the PH of the tank. Its a pain in the butt

Yeah that does work but not with the water both of us have. Because of the high KH, no amount of peat moss will change the PH of the tank. Its a pain in the butt
That’s the issue. I have drift wood in the tank but it doesn’t impact anything because of the high kH

That’s the issue. I have drift wood in the tank but it doesn’t impact anything because of the high kH
Yup. Ya know, someone on the forum kept yelling at me for not trying to change the PH with tannins... I'm just like dude chill. I can't its impossible... They still don't like me 😑

Yup. Ya know, someone on the forum kept yelling at me for not trying to change the PH with tannins... I'm just like dude chill. I can't its impossible... They still don't like me 😑
Lol yea I bet, people don’t do enough research. They take one bit of information and worship it

If you have a high enough organic content in your tank and don't water change your tank will eventually go acidic. All organic processes are based around acids. Acids are what break things down. What aquarists do is they think they need to water change their tanks; this is incorrect. If you have enough organic activity going on in your tank it will purify itself and it will be acid. The only thing you then need to do is top up. Which is what I'm doing.

Reverse osmosis or rainwater....
Rainwater indeed.
I just finished my rainwater barrel project and collected my first 65ltrs yesterday.
My tank with Emporer Tetras, Rathbuni Redfin Tetras, and Glowlight Tetras and Golden Shrimp was standing with a GH of 425ppm that I was really wanting to improve. The pH was around 8.5.
I took out 15ltrs of water and replaced with the rainwater.
Presto. 225ppm and 7pH.
I want it to go down to around 180ppm but I'll get to that on the next scheduled water change.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back