Lots Of Questions About Possible 20gal Saltwater?

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a -lot- of questions regarding POSSIBLY (not positive!) reusing my current 20 gallon freshwater for a small saltwater setup when my new tank is fully cycled and all my fish are rehomed into the new tank. I don't want to make 3 different topics, so is it also okay if my fish and invert/coral questions are answered too? But I'll start out on hardware questions.

Can a tank previously used for freshwater be used for saltwater? I know you would probably have to sterilize it if you can.. how would you do this?

What materials do you need for a saltwater tank that are not in a freshwater one?

A little off topic - how do you do water changes in a salt water tank?
I know how to cycle a freshwater tank. What are differences in cycling saltwater that should be considered?

And here are the ones I don't want to create new topics for. :p
What fish can go into a 20 gallon? I know not many can, besides like 2 clownfish, but I know there are a few more. :)
What inverts are compatible with said fish, and what are the most affordable compatible live rock?

That is a lot of questions, I know.. but I don't know much. Thank you! :)

woa lots of questions ok here goes:

Can a tank previously used for freshwater be used for saltwater? I know you would probably have to sterilize it if you can.. how would you do this?

yes but not if copper has been used as this really harms corals. a good rinse with RO water should be all thats needed if no chemicals have been used in the tank.

What materials do you need for a saltwater tank that are not in a freshwater one?
materials as in filter media? best to just use live rock as your main filtration.

Pretty much the same as you would for a FW, i.e. make up your salt water in a separate bucket ensuring its the same slainity and roughly the same temp then add it in.

I know how to cycle a freshwater tank. What are differences in cycling saltwater that should be considered?
generally the same, i.e. you wait for a ammonia spike then a nitrite spike then wait for nitrate to go right down, then the tank is cycled. Takes longer than freshwater as undoubtedly you'll get die off from the live rock you buy.

What fish can go into a 20 gallon? I know not many can, besides like 2 clownfish, but I know there are a few more. :)
20g is a bit on the small side for 2 clowns but many do it in 24g. many species of reef safe fish that don't get very big (too many to list here, but check out yellow bean gobies, gramma, bangaii cardinal.

What inverts are compatible with said fish, and what are the most affordable compatible live rock?
most shrimp wil be fine with those mentioned, not sure what you mean by the 'affordable compatible live rock'

hope that helps a bit.

my advice have a read of the stickys at the top of the marine section and the nano section

woa lots of questions ok here goes:

yes but not if copper has been used as this really harms corals. a good rinse with RO water should be all thats needed if no chemicals have been used in the tank.

materials as in filter media? best to just use live rock as your main filtration.

Pretty much the same as you would for a FW, i.e. make up your salt water in a separate bucket ensuring its the same slainity and roughly the same temp then add it in.

generally the same, i.e. you wait for a ammonia spike then a nitrite spike then wait for nitrate to go right down, then the tank is cycled. Takes longer than freshwater as undoubtedly you'll get die off from the live rock you buy.

20g is a bit on the small side for 2 clowns but many do it in 24g. many species of reef safe fish that don't get very big (too many to list here, but check out yellow bean gobies, gramma, bangaii cardinal.

most shrimp wil be fine with those mentioned, not sure what you mean by the 'affordable compatible live rock'

hope that helps a bit.

my advice have a read of the stickys at the top of the marine section and the nano section

That helped a lot! Thank you. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back