Looking For A Bigger, Peaceful Fish

Females are not guarenteed to mean less aggression, they can still be territorial.

Red jewels are super aggressive the majority of the time!
+1 Mine is a crazy il thing but I love her. Her personality fascinates me.

Ha, she seems like a charmer :crazy:

You could add more upside down catfish to that tank if you've only got one. They do like their company
And I do plan to get some more upside down catfish. It was a test run, as I was told synodontis species were compatible. I didn't want to add more than one on the off chance that she didn't like them. Now that I know that she pays the cat no mind, I plan on getting 4-6 more :) They are cool lil catfish.
Although the cat looks a lot like a featherfin squeaker, but displays the same type of behavior as the upside down catfish. I may have to post a pic for confirmation.
And yes, she charmed me. She comes up to the side of the tank to show off for me, and even comes up to my hands when I am doing maintenance. She just doesnt like most fish lol

Females are not guarenteed to mean less aggression, they can still be territorial.

Red jewels are super aggressive the majority of the time!
+1 Mine is a crazy il thing but I love her. Her personality fascinates me.

Ha, she seems like a charmer :crazy:

You could add more upside down catfish to that tank if you've only got one. They do like their company
And I do plan to get some more upside down catfish. It was a test run, as I was told synodontis species were compatible. I didn't want to add more than one on the off chance that she didn't like them. Now that I know that she pays the cat no mind, I plan on getting 4-6 more :) They are cool lil catfish.
Although the cat looks a lot like a featherfin squeaker, but displays the same type of behavior as the upside down catfish. I may have to post a pic for confirmation.
And yes, she charmed me. She comes up to the side of the tank to show off for me, and even comes up to my hands when I am doing maintenance. She just doesnt like most fish lol
I've got a similar love for convict cichlids. I love the way they look, I love their aggressiveness and tank redecorating ways, their hardiness, but finding tank mates for one can be a pain in the #17#####!

EDIT: Also, according to research I did on upside down cats some time ago, there are two different species sold under the same name. One which is larger and aggressive, and one which is smaller and peaceful. I'm taking a guess that you may have got the larger variety, but I'm interested in seeing the pictures whenever you go for confirmation

I have a red jewel and she everything but peaceful. I have been able to keep her with my severums with little problems but she still nipped at them. She currently has her own 55g. She is a true psychopath

As already stated, its cool that you are trying to help, but research your suggestions. If I were to put my Red Jewel in Onidrase's tank, she would kill everything in it. She almost wrecked a Green Terror that was 2 inches bigger than her. (Green Terror is back at the LFS and is doing well)

The only thing I have been able to keep her with is an upside down catfish.

I read this after reading one article about red jewels, they have said one can be kept in 20g , but they said it were aggressive only at time of spawning and normally peaceful and can go with many comm fish. Alas here we have yours, but can it be an individual personality thing here. Am sure your Female was on Heat you must have separated it from her boy at the lfs lmbo. j/k

I have a red jewel and she everything but peaceful. I have been able to keep her with my severums with little problems but she still nipped at them. She currently has her own 55g. She is a true psychopath

As already stated, its cool that you are trying to help, but research your suggestions. If I were to put my Red Jewel in Onidrase's tank, she would kill everything in it. She almost wrecked a Green Terror that was 2 inches bigger than her. (Green Terror is back at the LFS and is doing well)

I read this after reading one article about red jewels, they have said one can be kept in 20g , but they said it were aggressive only at time of spawning and normally peaceful and can go with many comm fish. Alas here we have yours, but can it be an individual personality thing here. Am sure your Female was on Heat you must have separated it from her boy at the lfs lmbo. j/k
She was the only on in the tank I bought her from, and for good reason. I do not know who told you they were peaceful, but they are far from it. Everyone I have spoken to that has ever owned one has indicated to me that these fish are NOT for the impatient hobbyist as their personalities prevent you from being able to do ALOT with your stocking. The best advice I got was to stock her with aggressive Mbunas in hopes that they keep her in check. And Jewels get to be 4-5 inches. Whoever told you to keep them in a 20g should be slapped. Everything I read said for territory reason, a 48inch tank would be best.

Every fish kept in the jewel tank at my LFS has torn up fins or is dying at the top of the tank. I have no faith in that article.

*slaps the screen* idk dises I think it was yahoo answers or some other google search that said about the jewel 20g thing. And also noted that they were peaceful, in the picture was a blue jewel. I guess red ones are the real creekers. I think tiger barbs will be compatible cos they know how to give appropriate treatment to their tank mates. Haha but I guess jewel will be too strong for them too.

Quote crunch7 "I guess red ones are the real creekers." end quote.

Hey, does my name mean something bad in the UK? I agree Jewell Cichlid is one of the worst choices that could be made. How about a nice Moonlight Gourami?

PB100448.jpg

Quote crunch7 "I guess red ones are the real creekers." end quote.

Hey, does my name mean something bad in the UK? I agree Jewell Cichlid is one of the worst choices that could be made. How about a nice Moonlight Gourami?

PB100448.jpg

If you want something to come up as a quote use this notation. [...quote...] Quoted text here [/...quote...]

Type it like that, but without the ...

Or, use the "REPLY" button under the text you are going to quote, and this will give credit to the person you are quoting. It will look like what I have done with your post.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back