Live Rock

25 gallons (UK gallons)= 12.50kg of liverock minimum.

10-30 what? Pounds? Rocks? The cost is no biggie... I just need to know how many rocks I should/could put in.

3fsh said:
I have a 25G eclipse aquarium... how much live rock can I put in it?
As much as will fit in.
How much you may need or want depends on what you will be keeping in the aq & the "kind" of live rock, also if yu have a fuge.
the general rule of thumb is 1 1/2 pounds per USA gallon. All live rock is not equal, 3/4 pounds of some kinds which are very porous, lacy etc is better than 2 pounds of atlantic almost solid rock.
If you only have the eclipse lighting & you don't jury rig or get a new hood don't bother with premium, get mostly base - oh wait you are in cal, never mind get the best it should be a lot cheaper there. Consider Kalaini or Vanatu or Marshall as they generally are lighter weight and you can get longer pieces yu need for tall tank.

Yeah, get at least a pound per gallon but you have to get a retrofit kit for your lighting. There's a seller on ebay I think who has these for under $100 a good deal. Can't do SPS but you don't want to in that small a tank anyway.

Hey Ostrow, r u CMAS mem?
The Eclipse 2 (what fits a standard Eclipse 25 gallon) retro kit is available for $25.USD - $169.USD. I know as I have a 25 gal eclipse that I talked a friend out of as I was sick of hearing about all the fish she killed. Mostly tangs. Straight into an Eclipse with no live rock & only what the store sold her as a salt package. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Those retro kits suck. With the "little" Eclipse 1 and 2 you can only get a ?20 something - 36ish CF. If you want to do an upgrade MEASURE!!!!! then measure again. width, depth & length. Then consider the cheap retro kit for the equiped hood light area which will get you to ~36 watts - you have 30 watts standard now In a godawful deep tank. Not much different as far as animals and algae is concerned. BUT! Get a single or double 65CF strip - build your own with a retro from WWW.AHSUPPLY.COM (I have no stock in this co nor do I know them- They have the best prices and ease of use I have found) and you can grow softies and caulerpa and halimeda (I can not spell) and Octo or bubble and..... My 25 Eclipse is sitting here overstuffed with LR as I am rearranging and I change out LR periodically so am decicding which pieces stay, go and are just passing thru, ~3" mostly arag substrate, 2 supplemental powerheads which I alternate (lack of plug in space) when lights are on. Or get a couple four of the T5s - I got 4 with 10,000K lamps for $60.usd. on Ebay; 2 with reflectors fit easily under the flip top for the filter & you can put an acrylic cover & rewire if you are handy.
This 25 US Gal Eclispe has 65 watt CF with blue bulb that is on sale at www.hellolights.com for !!!! $7.USD !!!! and gives a great deep water look tho very faint actinic- but for $7.USD ?!? great!; 1 triton 15 watt & 1 coral sun 15 watt. Filtration is LR & standard elclipse, caulerpa, coraline & halimeda algaes as well as sponges. I add a bit of substrate, a half cup from fuge or the mangrove swamp or in summer the outside fuge, maybe every fortnight or so spread over the bottom now as the tank is year and half old - 2 years old.
Livestock: 1 male Scotts Fairy Wrasse, 1 cuke, 1 CB shrimp, nas, cerith, astrea & trochus snails (as well as others), lots of my adored tube worms of all kinds, gorgonians, bubble coral, disco/ricordia/buttons/shrooms, Kenya colt or tree coral, couple 3 leathers/devils hand & a little ufo alien leather, galaxia, polyps, zoos & bararium and yes aiptasia came in when I put montipora in. Oh and those cute little bitty stars, smaller than your pinky nail and lots n lots of pods, bristle & other worms etc. Oh and an almost never seen emerald (mitrax) crab.
HTH

CMAS all da way. You in Chicago?

I have never seen the Eclipse kits as my Eclipse systems are only f/w. But I have heard there are some that are good. About $90 for PC lighting.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back