Lil Help And A Thank You.

Well... after a look about in the shops / ringing shops ive had a plan... after talking to yourself miss wriggles ive decided this.. im going to let the biorb cycle and add my 2 goldfish and buy 2 more.. then when i come back from turkey in sept and the money aint so tight ( im also doing driving lessons too ) im going to get a new 120l from a shop near me.. i feel this will give me a better understanding of cycling and also give me a chance to treat the goldfish better.. i think this is the best option for me. however im going to stick around here if im wanted :p seems a nice group of people :p plus ill pick up tips ready for mt 120l.. ahh looking forward to it now.. how many goldies do you feel would be a ok amount for a 30l biorb, also its been 48 hours since my 1st ammonia adding and my tank is still at 5ppm is this ok? when do you think i should see some droppage?

Take care all

Scotty!

Just a fast one before i go to bed.. been thinking about fish.. lol ...

ive been looking about and im thinking i could get a 120l tank new / second hand say for 40 pound.. for a kit IE tank, heater and filter its 125ish... would it be cheaper to buy them sperate? do i just need a heater and filter if i get a tank stand alone or i need something ells? under gravel thing or something? not sure how a real set up works as my biorb is obviously pre set up.. any idea what id be looking at paying seperatly and what i would need? i thinking its surly cheaper to buy them seperate.

one last think too, are the tables tanks fit on expensive? also can you get a table say 1ft smaller than your tank and let it hang over the edge? or is that a crack waiting to happen?

Cheers all and night.

Scott.

Well... after a look about in the shops / ringing shops ive had a plan... after talking to yourself miss wriggles ive decided this.. im going to let the biorb cycle and add my 2 goldfish and buy 2 more.. then when i come back from turkey in sept and the money aint so tight ( im also doing driving lessons too ) im going to get a new 120l from a shop near me.. i feel this will give me a better understanding of cycling and also give me a chance to treat the goldfish better.. i think this is the best option for me. however im going to stick around here if im wanted :p seems a nice group of people :p plus ill pick up tips ready for mt 120l.. ahh looking forward to it now.. how many goldies do you feel would be a ok amount for a 30l biorb, also its been 48 hours since my 1st ammonia adding and my tank is still at 5ppm is this ok? when do you think i should see some droppage?

Take care all

Scotty!

sounds like a plan to me finance etc wise. the 30l will be ok as a temporary home.

yup the ammonia may take a couple more days to start dropping.

and we'd love for you to stick around if you can. just keep reading and reading and reading, then you'll be well prepared for your bigger tank.

0 goldfish for a 30l bi-orb i'm afraid, they need something considerably bigger and also goldies are really big waste producers for their size and the filtration on bi-orbs just aint up to it. :sad: couple of small ones would be ok for a few months or something but it's no good as a long term home.

Just a fast one before i go to bed.. been thinking about fish.. lol ...

ive been looking about and im thinking i could get a 120l tank new / second hand say for 40 pound.. for a kit IE tank, heater and filter its 125ish... would it be cheaper to buy them sperate? do i just need a heater and filter if i get a tank stand alone or i need something ells? under gravel thing or something? not sure how a real set up works as my biorb is obviously pre set up.. any idea what id be looking at paying seperatly and what i would need? i thinking its surly cheaper to buy them seperate.

one last think too, are the tables tanks fit on expensive? also can you get a table say 1ft smaller than your tank and let it hang over the edge? or is that a crack waiting to happen?

Cheers all and night.

Scott.

i find it easier to buy things seperately and then you can customise and get exactly what you want. a lot of these deals with everything included give you the bare minimum of filtration that you need, better to buy seperatley and get better kit.

stands aren't too pricey, can make one if your handy with a saw and a screw gun! don't ever ever ever leave the tank hanging over the end, believe me i've done it. had a stand just too small (like literally about 5mm too small) for the tank and that sprung a leak after a few months. accident waiting to happen.

ha kool. ill be sticking around too :p

so once i have the tank, im bidding on a 3ft one now going really cheap... what will i need then? Heater and filter? anything ells also how much ££ wise will it cost to get me going minus gravel and decor?

filter, get an external cannister rated for a tank bigger than yours as the manufacturers are always a little generous with their estimations. :rolleyes: if you can afford it eheims are the best money can buy, if your on a budget rena or tetratec are good makes

heater, it's best to get two smaller heaters than one big one so you've back up if one fails. it's only our smallest tanks that we run on 1 heater.

lighting and hood, some tanks come with some don't. you can again diy a hood for it if your a bit handy. if you want live plants you need to get enough lighting in there to aim for 1.5 - 2 watts per gallon. so if the tank's 30gallons, combined lighting should be between 45 and 60watts. the tubes and starter units for lights should come with a wattage.

that's really your basics. anything other than that is decor, or gadgets!!

ok so say ive got a tank with lid / lights, what price am i looking at spending to get the heaters and filter? also does the filter create the bubbles like the biorb or is that another unit thats needed?

you don't need bubbles, can get an air pump if you like but not essential.

here's a few options of filters from fleabay to get an idea of price, this would be my personal order of preference, first one is best IMHO

this rena external would also be excellent although expect it to be slightly noisier than the eheims

tetratec ex700 is another option, not used them myself but heard good things

internal eheim filter, i prefer externals but eheim are the mutts nuts so to speak

cheap and cheerful internal probably be relatively rubbish but it would do the job

heaters don't vary that much in price for whatever size you get, expect about 12-15 each from a pet shop, maybe a tenner on-line

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Kool cheers for the advice. i think i have a possible cycle stall or im being impaitent lol ive had a 5ppm reading for 5 days now after adding ammonia on a 30l biorb... is this right or has something gone wrong? is there anything i can do?

Cheers

Scott

could be either tbh, bit early to tell. try a 30% water change, see if it does anything, make sure you add ammonia back to 5ppm after the change

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back