Lfs Told Me Betta Would Definitely Eat White Clouds

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sharkydog

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I decided to see what my LFS had, for potential tank mates for my male betta in a 10 gallon. They have white clouds there and I was talking to the store owner and he told me that my betta would DEFINITELY eat them, even if the tank was heavily planted... But I'm pretty sure I have also seen success stories about white clouds and bettas.... Thoughts?

They wouldnt eat them, but white clouds arent suitable for a 10 gallon tank, they need swimming room, not to mention that the white clouds are sub tropical so they cant be housed together happily.

I just had read some comments on another post I made about my LFS and honestly, feel free to ignore this post because I no longer trust my LFS... He's full of it. And (if you read my other post) that was not the first problem I had with this guy.

But, if anyone has personal experiences with bettas and white clouds feel free to respond.

I wouldn't think it's a comparability issue as a beta would not be able to eat large white clouds but white clouds like cooler subtropical to cold waters and bettas prefer full tropical. :)

ncguppy830 said:
They wouldnt eat them, but white clouds arent suitable for a 10 gallon tank, they need swimming room,
Really???! Aren't they basically micro fish, though?!
Okay, apparently I have some total misconceptions about white clouds. I've read that they're hardy, stay very small, like the same temps as bettas, etc.

sharkydog said:

They wouldnt eat them, but white clouds arent suitable for a 10 gallon tank, they need swimming room,

No there minnows, a good example of micro fish are alot of rasboras and some north american killifish, white clouds can be compared with danios in this case.

ncguppy830 said:

No there minnows, a good example of micro fish are alot of rasboras and some north american killifish, white clouds can be compared with danios in this case.

Ohhh okay. I knew that they were technically minnows although they are sometimes called tetras. But I still have a LOT to learn about different fish types and subtypes. I'm glad you pointed this out because I thought that even they were 'technically' minnows (and people said they were good with bettas, but I had just assumed they meant a smaller tank, I think) people always called them tetras because they're as small as like neon tetras(and at stores they seem tetra sized because they are really young, I assume). I dunno. Making a lot of newbie mistakes over here, and obviously need to find a visual table that explains 'fish species, subtypes, and aquariums made easy'. lol

But seriously though if there are any 'in laments terms for beginners' books out there... Maybe a good 'aquariums and fish for dummies' book out there, please let me know.

well alot of books are outdated now, but aquariums for dummies is an actual set of books.

Mine is only 25 litres and I went with cherry shrimp as company for my betta; I know they won't have a go and worst case he might try to eat them (and then I can justify a second tank haha)

Your betta wouldn't really "eat" them as they are too big for him to eat.  He could attack and kill them though. Minnows are not a good choice for betta tankmates for several reasons.  They prefer much cooler temperatures than bettas (although they can "live" at the lower temp range of bettas it is not advised as it is the high end of the minnows range).  They are very fast active swimming fish that tend to stress bettas.  They can be nippy to longer finned fish.  All of these reasons add up to a situation that just isn't the best for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back