The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HarpyFishLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello again.

I recently acquired a new tank and a Betta. The tank is a Baby BiOrb, 4 gallons, with ceramic media and large gravel, as well as several plants and a heater. All levels are good.

So here's the problem. The betta, Fintello, or Finn for short, has been acting very lethargic lately. He hovers just above a leaf or the gravel, and will very occasionally flinch and begin moving. He goes up and gets air periodically, and then wistfully floats back down to his spot. There are no visible markings on his body.

I had read somewhere that this could be a swim bladder problem, and that the solution would be to make him flare and fast him 3 days. Sadly, I tried this, and he doesn't even feel like flaring. I've fasted him today and yesterday... If anything, he's worse.

Please be gracious about this messy tank.

1490809385122-713306125.jpg

He actually posed for this one!
1490809532352-832352395.jpg

Hello again.

I recently acquired a new tank and a Betta. The tank is a Baby BiOrb, 4 gallons, with ceramic media and large gravel, as well as several plants and a heater. All levels are good.

So here's the problem. The betta, Fintello, or Finn for short, has been acting very lethargic lately. He hovers just above a leaf or the gravel, and will very occasionally flinch and begin moving. He goes up and gets air periodically, and then wistfully floats back down to his spot. There are no visible markings on his body.

I had read somewhere that this could be a swim bladder problem, and that the solution would be to make him flare and fast him 3 days. Sadly, I tried this, and he doesn't even feel like flaring. I've fasted him today and yesterday... If anything, he's worse.

Please be gracious about this messy tank.

View attachment 83385
He actually posed for this one!
View attachment 83386
For one the air filter in the center seems to be putting off bubbles at a really fast pace. The current may be causing your betta to tire out quickly and then lack the motivation to swim/behave normally.
As for your water parameters, can you list them exactly please? Ph, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and alkalinity. How often do you do water changes and at what volume?

pH 7.5,
Ammonia 0,
Nitrite 0,
Nitrate ~5,
No idea on the alkalinity.

He's twitching now. I fear that if I do not help him soon, he will die.
He'll be swimming peacefully, then suddenly he violently twitches once, then goes back to swimming. This happens about once per 4 seconds while he's swimming. He actually swims about once every 10 minutes, for about a minute.

Water changes are once every two weeks, at about 50% each. BEFORE YOU START ON ME about the infrequent water changes, I KNOW I should be doing them more often. I would not like to cause any unnecessary stress, and as the water chemistry is fine, there is no need for a weekly water change. Plus, I'm lazy.

Please, this is painful for me to watch... please help me to help Finn, before whatever this is kills him.

...I should probably post this in Tropical Fish Emergencies, since it really is getting urgent.

Regardless if your tank is cycled water changes do help as they make it fresher and replenish nutrients and oxygen. I don't think they would harm the betta, and if anything, they would help with his condition. Also are you sure it's 4 gallons? It might just be me but your betta looks a bit big making me think 1 gallon.

It might just be me but your betta looks a bit big making me think 1 gallon.
Might just be the bowl.

A few things. Like FroFro said, those bubbles seem to be quick, which might be why he is so tired. Does that work as a filter (the bubbler)? Was the tank cycled properly? The water changes won't stress him, as long as you warm the water and dechlorinate. You definitely should do them weekly. How much and what do you feed him? Not sure about the twitching, maybe a video would help? Also, maybe provide some hiding areas because it seems that he can only be in the open.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back