Lego City Of Atlantis Tank Rescape

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gvilleguy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
A week ago I decided to rescape my tank with a sunken city look, but I could not find any decorations at my LFS that gave the right impression I was looking for in my kids' colorful (very colorful) 26 gallon tank. I then thought of looking for a Lego set that might fit my imagination. I had good timing as Lego released set 7985, City of Atlantis, for 2011:

IMG_1518 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

IMG_1519 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

After reading other Lego threads on this forum, like this one:

Tank Concept

I decided it might be prudent to construct the set under water to keep it as "heavy" as possible and avoid it floating in the tank. It was more work than I expected, as each individual piece took a lot of spinning and flicking under water to get all the air bubbles out. But it worked out okay. I filled an unused 5 gallon tank with dechlorinated water and constructed different phases in there before transferring to the main tank.

IMG_1520 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

IMG_1521 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

IMG_1524 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

IMG_1525 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

The first two levels sunk in the main tank, but still required a few small rocks (visible on second level) to keep it totally down:

IMG_1527 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

Last remnants of the old decor on the left before it was all removed:

IMG_1528 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

Completed main building:

IMG_1530 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

And the final version with the smaller columned pieces on the left, plus new (fake) plants added all around. The only real plant is the java fern on the fake log on the left:

IMG_1544 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

IMG_1553 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

IMG_1557 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

I was inspired by the manually activated door lift to put an air stone underneath, and added weight with a flat rock and rubber bands, so the door lifts every 10 seconds or so to release bubbles:

IMG_1559 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

Here are shots with the moonlight LEDs:

IMG_1572 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

IMG_1573 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

IMG_1574 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

And here is a brief video showing everything in action:

Almost forgot to take pictures with the moonlight LEDs...just added them to the original post. Thanks for the compliments! My kids really like the results. My son just stared and stared waiting for the bubbles to come out of the door. He wants to see the big bubble hit a fish.

I was looking forward to the pictures for this and they're great! I love it! Good job :good: and good that the kids like it too! :D

I love this! Such a great idea. I'd love to try scaping my small unused tank like this, with one of my old Lego sets I've got hiding up in the wardrobe. I was going to go for an really natural theme, but this looks like much more fun :3

I've only got one question.......why did you assemble the Lego IN THE WATER and not build it outside of the tank first? :lol:

Woah, thats probably more expensive than a piece of bogwood. nutter.

I've only got one question.......why did you assemble the Lego IN THE WATER and not build it outside of the tank first? :lol:

Trapping the air would make it float i guess? ;)

Correct - there is a lot of air trapped in each piece. You really have to spin and flick each lego block under water to get all the air out and make it sink!

so awesome. Great Idea on the trap door! makes it look like it was made for the water. i think thats awesome.

Great quality pics too!
:good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back