Lego City Of Atlantis Tank Rescape

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
If you look at the "tank concept" thread that I linked in my original post - I really like the Lego-scape done by forum member Lots_to_learn - the pic in their signature...

this is really cool, bet the kids love it

that is an absolutely amazing idea!! i really love the night light in there too and how it makes everything glow!

nice job :D

It's been two weeks since I did the rescape, and the bubble door has worked flawlessly without adjustment, which is good! The main problem is that I have brown'ish algae that tends to grow in the tank between cleanings, and after two weeks (missed my normal weekly cleaning last weekend) the pristine white legos have turned brown in many spots. So cleaning might be a chore. I'll see how hard it is to clean up this week.

:lol:

Was not expecting this to look that good, but fair play I like it :good:

:lol:

Was not expecting this to look that good, but fair play I like it :good:

I second that! I actually thought it was some crazy joke when I started reading it, but it is actually pure genius
applaud.gif.gif
......Respect!

It's been two weeks since I did the rescape, and the bubble door has worked flawlessly without adjustment, which is good! The main problem is that I have brown'ish algae that tends to grow in the tank between cleanings, and after two weeks (missed my normal weekly cleaning last weekend) the pristine white legos have turned brown in many spots. So cleaning might be a chore. I'll see how hard it is to clean up this week.

you could try some nerite snails if they are available in your area, they keep my rocks, glass etc clean.

I use a toothbrush(not previously used for teeth) in my tank when I am doing a water change, and the water level is down. Can clean plant leaves and all the niggley bits of the tank, like heater and tubes, etc.

Thanks for the kind replies. On this forum the general majority of experienced users seem to prefer the realistic tank settings (just look at the TOTM submissions), so I was not sure what reception this Lego deal would get. But keeping in mind the tank is also for my kids' enjoyment, I think it's okay! :)

DevotedtoDiscus - I got a free toothbrush at the dentist this week, and decided to try it on the Legos - good suggestion - thanks! :good: It helped me clean off much of the algae without breaking the Legos apart. I'll still have to unseat the buildings to vacuum the gravel, which will probably result in some breakage, but at least that's only every 1 - 2 weeks. The toothbrush can be used every few days for maintenance cleaning.

It is one of the most original ideas I have ever seen. Thumbs up to you! Nice work fella.
good.gif
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Been running with the Legos for 9 months or so? Can't believe it has already been that long. Thought I would provide a few updates, in case anyone else tries the Lego motif:

1. About once per month I remove the Legos totally to clean them in a bucket with a tooth brush. It takes about 45 minutes to get them looking new again, so they hold up really well in the tank.

2. I have not seen any cuts or scrapes on my fish from the "sharp" Lego blocks (as I have had some people ask me about). I don't think this is an issue.

3. Since taking the Legos out of the tank causes air to get back in the blocks, I have trouble with the structures trying to float. I fixed this issue by purchasing a flat, green Lego square (which you usually use as a foundation for buildings - looks like a grassy yard). I cut the square up into pieces that would fit the foundations of the Atlantis pieces, and attached them to the bottom. This gave me a flat surface on which to pile aquarium rocks and weigh down the Legos so that they won't float. Then I just cover the green part with gravel so you can't see it. Seems to work well.

And I wanted to link over to FailDeadly, who just started a Star Wars tank - looks good:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/403049-star-wars-tank/

Been running with the Legos for 9 months or so? Can't believe it has already been that long. Thought I would provide a few updates, in case anyone else tries the Lego motif:

1. About once per month I remove the Legos totally to clean them in a bucket with a tooth brush. It takes about 45 minutes to get them looking new again, so they hold up really well in the tank.

2. I have not seen any cuts or scrapes on my fish from the "sharp" Lego blocks (as I have had some people ask me about). I don't think this is an issue.

3. Since taking the Legos out of the tank causes air to get back in the blocks, I have trouble with the structures trying to float. I fixed this issue by purchasing a flat, green Lego square (which you usually use as a foundation for buildings - looks like a grassy yard). I cut the square up into pieces that would fit the foundations of the Atlantis pieces, and attached them to the bottom. This gave me a flat surface on which to pile aquarium rocks and weigh down the Legos so that they won't float. Then I just cover the green part with gravel so you can't see it. Seems to work well.

And I wanted to link over to FailDeadly, who just started a Star Wars tank - looks good:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/403049-star-wars-tank/

This is a fantastic idea. When you rebuild the lego try building it in a bucket of water that way the water gets trapped inside the lego instead of air.....although your base idea works just as well. :hey:

I used to build my hamster houses out of lego. Was awesome.

While I was reading the first few bits I thought "GENIUS!! You've just solved my dilemma of a christmas present for my nephew!" so I was thinking of lego starwars, and there you go linking Faildeadlys (which I'm about to read :D)

Thanks for the insiration! I love natural tanks, but I ADORE different scapes like this, especially for kids.

I'm going to plan a mini scape for my nephew in a shrimp tank.

You say the "sharp" lego edges haven't damaged your fish. Do you think a betta would be ok? I mean, I don't want the fins getting damaged if I decided to get him a tank big enough for a betta.

Good question on the betta. I have no idea! The closest fish I have with long fins is my Bolivian Ram, and he does not swim close to the Legos except along the front and back. So I have not had trouble, but I'm not sure about the long, trailing fins of a betta.

Thanks for the kind feedback. My tank is fun for my kids, which was the main reason I did it. Well, until I got totally addicated to the hobby again, and now have a second tank on order...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back