Large Empty Tank And Thinking Of Oscars.....

Sammy didnt make it through the night im affraid to say, the beating must have been too much for him to pull through :rip:

he was such a great looking fish its such a shame, im gutted :byebye:

the barbs seem more confident though and are eating which they didnt do last time they were in with Keith so lets hope they can all get on ok.....

i wont be adding any more big fish with Keith from now on as its not fair on the fish i add as he seems too dominant after spending time alone in the tank.

Thats the problem with big ol cichlids. Keith certainly has made that tank his now, and in the sense of adding new fish to his territory is daft, maybe none-cichlids might stand a chance if given carefull concideration.

Your overall aim for this tank - have you achieved what you wanted? Or a you somewhat dissapopinted that it now ends up only being Keith in the tank?

Sorry to hear about your loss, Keith must be one strong fella! I don't see how you can make him happy again now though :/

if im honest im not dissappointed as since having this tank i have learnt quite a lot about many fish and more importantly what i wanted from it. when the tank had all of the other fish inside it just looked too much for me. all of the fish were stunning but i much prefer less. as the tank is going soon i am getting a 5x2x2 and there is no way i could have kept them all together in a smaller tank hence the reason they were sold. i kept Keith as ive never seen a nicer oscar and in such great condition and also he is the most interactive from the bunch, which is what i originally set out for in a "wet pet".

the reason i added the GT is because Keith seemed lonely and had a sulk on for many weeks. it has made Keith more active but it has also ended the life of a stunning fish at the same time :sad: if im honest a foot long fish in a 5ft tank is pretty much all i want in there, even though a 5x2x2 sounds a big tank with a fish like Keith in there it soon becomes small and its not worth risking other fish in with him now as he has claimed the tank. he doesnt bother the catfish or BGK at all and since removing the GT i added the arulius barbs back in and he doesnt go for them so i think this is my final stocking unless anything else happens to any of them.

final stocking -

1 x oscar
8 x arulius barbs
1 x black ghost knife
3 x humbug catfish
1 x jaguar catfish

once the humbugs have grown a bit i may well remove the jaguar catfish and put him in my 6x2x2 with the ornatumsso there isnt too much competition for food on the substrate.

ive just caught a great look at my BGK and he/she is now 9 inches+ :hyper:

when i bought it back in october it was a 3-4 inch juvi, thats almost an inch per month :hyper: oscar growth rates...... :lol:

i have also this week ordered Keiths new abode from ND aquatics.

he will be going from this 6.5 foot tank down to a 5 foot tank so i hope he doesnt start sulking again :crazy:

the stocking will remain the same for now as i want to see how they all get along in a new tank with new decor etc. i was going to try and duplicate the decor from the current tank into the new tank but i feel that the huge bit of wood will take up too much room in a 5ft tank so unless it looks any good on its side i will have to store it and use it in another tank i have planned for my ornatums :hey:

the arrival of the new tank will also mean Keith and friends will be able to come out of the garage into the lounge :D its due to arrive on may 11th :cool:

after a quick trip to an lfs yesterday i returned with a great piece of wood for Keiths new home when it arrives :hyper: it actually didnt seem that big in the shop but after getting it home and measuring it its 2.5ft long x 16 inches wide and 16 inches tall..... i hope its not too big :crazy:
IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

the bog wood is amazing mate, how much did youpay for that? I;d love something like that.

Bet your made up getting the tank in the house, I;d love my 5ft out of the garage but theres no chance in my house

the bog wood look awsome and the 5 ft will look great with that in it

:good:

the bog wood is amazing mate, how much did youpay for that? I;d love something like that.

Bet your made up getting the tank in the house, I;d love my 5ft out of the garage but theres no chance in my house
it wasnt cheap but worth it in my eyes as its such a stunning piece of wood. the wife was shocked and couldnt believe i paid £50 for a bit of wood :lol:

really looking forward to the tank coming into the house as i only really see the fish for a few minutes each day unless its water change day.... my daughter is looking forward to having Keith in the house too she keeps asking when the tanks coming :lol:

the bog wood look awsome and the 5 ft will look great with that in it

:good:
thanks mate. its going to be the only piece in the tank along with some rocks as its so big to give Keith as much room as poss, i might even have to cut a small branch off it to give him room to pass easier. a few smaller pieces of wood may be added for my cats to hide in but nothing too big.

just got to wait now :angry:

Oh fantastic piece of wood, looks similar to a piece i saw recently near me. Where did you get it? I'd have a field day with that piece, i can imagine it now with big hunks of Java fern growing out of it here and there, with anubias growing inbetween. With an Oscar it may not be do-able, but it would look ace!

Oh fantastic piece of wood, looks similar to a piece i saw recently near me. Where did you get it? I'd have a field day with that piece, i can imagine it now with big hunks of Java fern growing out of it here and there, with anubias growing inbetween. With an Oscar it may not be do-able, but it would look ace!
it was bought from A5 aquatics so not too far from you mate.

plants are a no go with Keith im affraid and ive had it with moss as it gets everywhere :lol: but i see where your coming from.....

the tank is going to be quite baron with just a few pieces of wood and rocks with sand substrate. nice and simple as Keith is the main feature of this tank.

i just hope it will fit inbetween the glass sliders :crazy:

Haha i knew it was familiar! Thats the very piece of looked at last time i was there, and i uhmed and ahhed about getting it! In that case its an extra special piece of wood, as i know it is because i saw it and wanted it myself!

A5 are good for fish, and getting in the unusual, but they get some real "characters" working there. And the big boss is the biggest douche going, never impressed with him when i've been.

Don't cut the wood! Atleat not if you can help it, it would be a tragedy to cut it up, its brilliant. I'm sure you'll find a way of fitting it in the tank.

Haha i knew it was familiar! Thats the very piece of looked at last time i was there, and i uhmed and ahhed about getting it! In that case its an extra special piece of wood, as i know it is because i saw it and wanted it myself!

A5 are good for fish, and getting in the unusual, but they get some real "characters" working there. And the big boss is the biggest douche going, never impressed with him when i've been.

Don't cut the wood! Atleat not if you can help it, it would be a tragedy to cut it up, its brilliant. I'm sure you'll find a way of fitting it in the tank.
:lol: i really hope it doesnt need to be cut.... if it doesnt fit then i might wait until i upgrade the ornatum tank and try and squeeze it in there instead!

i never really use A5 any more as their fish are all very small juvis and very expensive :crazy: i know what you mean about the staff and boss :lol:

there was another piece of wood that i almost had too that was like a long branch with smaller pieces coming off it, im still tempted and if this doesnt fit then it might just have to be got. (just dont tell the mrs) :unsure:

Haha, yes i know the piece your on about! Almost like a tall lamp with legs at both ends! Was also tempted by this piece lol.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back