Large Empty Tank And Thinking Of Oscars.....

i am really tempted to try adding another oscar in with him......

i know what could happen but if it works then it will be sweet :hyper:

Keith obviously likes the company of other fish so why not another oscar :unsure:

i think 1 of the reasons that i moved the others on is that i prefer same species tanks not one of these and one of those etc.....

I personally think you should take the risk and go for it.

CK is worth it and needs to be made happy! :D

FYI about the barbs:

"Adults of Puntius tambraparniei are distinguished from P. filamentosus , P. singhala and P. assimilis by having prominent black markings on body anterior to the anal-fin origin. They differ from P. exclamatio by lacking a horizontally-elongate, tear-shaped black blotch above the anal fin. Puntius tambraparniei differs from P. srilankensis by having lower lip entire (vs. medially absent). It differs from P. arulius by having branched dorsal rays elongated into filaments in adult males (vs. dorsal fin concave and emarginate) and by having a pair of maxillary barbels 2.4-4.7% of SL (vs. <0.5%)."

It therefore seems that the fish sold for decades as P. arulius is in fact Puntius tambraparniei, and the recently imported Puntius tambraparniei are actually the true P. arulius ! P. arulius can thus be considered quite a rare species in the hobby, with all those fish on sale as "Arulius barb" likely to be Puntius tambraparniei.

i have suspect columnaris with the new barbs.....

ive now removed them and placed them in quarentine. they had funny white mouths or mouth rot :crazy:

i hope its nothing that will pass on to the other fish as they have been with them for a few days :angry:

im really mad as these fish are the only fish ive never put in quarentine :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

You should look for a oscar that needs a new home. I see people always looking for new homes for oscars that got too big.

You sold all your fish?

You should look for a oscar that needs a new home. I see people always looking for new homes for oscars that got too big.

You sold all your fish?
what ive done is sell most of the fish from this tank as in july we are having some work done on the house which would involve relocating all my fish that are currently in the garage.

to get round this i am getting a 5x2x2 and am putting it in the lounge which will house Keith, bgk, humbug cats and jaguar cat. the current tank is to be sold and when the work is complete i will be getting a 6x2x2 which will provide a home for my ornatums.....

a 5x2x2 wouldnt fit all of my fish from this tank in and its not fair on them so a guy came to buy a couple and we did a deal on all the cichlids except Keith as he is my favourite :wub:

since just having Keith the bgk and the cats the tank seems quite motionless so i got the group of barbs to liven things up a bit and introduce some movement. i was also considering getting another oscar to go in with Keith but im not sure if i want to try him with another..... if it all goes wrong then i have no spare tank big enough to move the other oscar into!

Keith (oscar) still is not 100% right. i have no idea what is wrong with him and im starting to worry now. its been a few weeks since removing the other cichlids from his tank and all he wants to do is sit on the substrate.

he is feeding but not as oscars are renowned for, he will probably take 6-7 Hikari gold pellets or a similar amount of Tetra Doromin sticks then goes and rests again. he use to take mouthfulls of 6-7 pellets when the other fish were in the tank but now its 1 at a time and not as many in total.....

the barbs i added then removed are fine now and very happy in their own tank and the suspect coloumnaris was just a scare as the white mouths cleared in no time after being removed. it may have been stress from a long trip back to my house from the shop and then being added in a tank with a foot long fish, who knows but they are fine now :unsure:

as i am selling a few of my other tanks the time will come to either try and reintroduce the barbs and see how it goes a second time or sell them on and try another larger cichlid. if i do go down the cichlid route i think i would have to go for another oscar.

do you think that Keith is lonely? :sad:

Oscars are notorious sulkers, this much you already know. It could just be he is sulking away, due to a change in tank-mates.

Whats the exact tank stocking currently?

this is one hell of a sulk though..............

current tank stocking is -

1 x oscar
1 x BGK
3 x humbug catfish
1 x jaguar catfish

he is the only free swimming fish in there so unless he is sulking about being alone :unsure:

when i added the group of barbs he didnt seem interested in them as a meal or bothered by them being there. i have now removed the barbs as they werent eating in this tank for some reason! since taking them out they eat like little pigs :unsure:

introducing Keiths new tank mate. "Sammy" the green terror :hyper:

i was offered this fish and after a visit couldnt leave it and he came home with me..... he has been kept with other cichlids before including oscars big and small so fingers crossed all will be well. he is about 8 inches and seems to have settled in quite well although is very cautious of Keith!

fingers crossed it will bring Keith back to life and give him a good tank mate :good:

greenterror.jpg

YAYY!

Crazy Keith has a friend, I sure hope he gets his character back! :D

the adition of another large fish has given Keith a new life but he has become a bit of a bully :crazy:

out of the 2 fish it should be the green terror thats the more aggressive but if im honest he is really scared of Keith and im now thinking it isnt fair on the GT as he clearly isnt comfortable and is getting stressed.....

i dont know if i can keep the GT in there as its just not fair and in a couple of months the tank will be reduced to a 5x2x2 so even less room :blink:

i have been offered a swap of a freidrichsthali cichlid for the GT.....

the GT is very scared of Keith but would the freddy be the same? :unsure: probably yes but ive always fancied a freddy cichlid and the new tank cant accomodate all 3 safely!

not sure what to do now as there isnt any physical damage on the GT but it is very stressed in with Keith :crazy:

got home from work today to find Sammy the GT very badly beaten up :crazy:

i guess Keith has finally caught him! Sammy has now been removed and placed in a tank of his own to recover.

looks like ill have to get rid of Sammy after all :sad: but there is no way i can give him to someone in this state so ill try my best to fix him and get him back to his former glory.

the barbs are now back in the big tank as i had no other tank to put Sammy :crazy: lets hope they can relax in the same tank as Keith the now evil oscar :angry:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back